Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The Intern Diaries: Scott County Edition II


As interns, our experiences are so vastly different from one another. Different program areas, varying counties in the state, and a wide range of communities ensure that no two intern’s summer looks the same. However, when it is all said and done, and we interns leave our office for the last time, whether it be in District 1 or District 7, we walk away with a deeper understanding and passion for cooperative extension.

My passion is found in the people we serve. Meeting so many of Scott County’s farmers, teachers, and community leaders has easily been the highlight of my summer. From helping the tobacco farmer find the problem with his crop, to speaking with the school district Superintendent about the possibility of a school farm proves that extension reaches every inch of the county. When brainstorming for my project, I wanted something where I could do just that, reach every inch of Scott County. So, I decided to market our small flock of chickens here at the office as “The Community’s Flock.” I could not settle on just one use for them, so why not do it all? 4-H members have been in the coops and learned about egg production. Our Homemakers have enjoyed the benefit of fresh eggs and used them in baking for FCS programming. Farmers, new and experienced, have taken chicks we hatched here or eggs to incubate themselves in hopes of starting or growing a flock of their own. Our eggs have been taken weekly to the Amen House so those less fortunate than us can enjoy them as well. My goal was for people from all walks of life to experience and learn from “The Community’s Flock.” As it comes to a close, I believe my goal was closely met.

This experience would be nothing without the amazing people in the office. My supervising agent, Michelle Simon, has become not only a mentor but a friend. I am so thankful she took the chance and accepted an intern from across the state. Our FCS, 4-H, and Horticulture agents have also been so kind and welcoming since day one. I never once have felt like “the intern.” I have been treated with such respect during the entire twelve weeks. Even when I accidentally let the chickens get loose and they had to come help me catch them, they still kept me around. I have learned so much this summer from each one of them, and those skills will help me be successful in whatever career I choose.

As I walk away from my office, in Scott County, I leave with a new attitude. Nestled in every one of Kentucky’s 120 counties lies a cooperative extension office ready and eager to serve its community. Whether we as interns return to extension for a career or pursue other paths, we will always appreciate our summer spent in one of those offices serving the people.


No comments:

Post a Comment