Friday, July 22, 2016

Does it really have to end?

I really can't believe that 10 of my 12 weeks as an intern have went by so fast. I'm not ready for it to end! Being an intern has been an incredible experience with learning opportunities every step of the way. I get paid to do what I love, I get to work with people of all ages, and I get to experience new things! How awesome is that?
     Since my last blog post, I've had even more opportunities thrown my way. The first one being 4-H camp! I've been going to camp for the past 5 years, but this year was probably my favorite. I was able to experience more of the agent side of it- especially all of the paperwork involved. Along with that, I was able to hold the absolutely adorable screech owl that you can see in the picture! A HUGE thank you to Mitch Whitaker and Letcher County's Raptor Rehabilitation Program for coming to visit us at 4-H Camp.
     In my last blog post, I mentioned my intern project that was still being planned. On July 18th and July 19th, I was able to host a Lego Robotics Day Camp for the teens and youth of Martin and Lawrence County. Our teens went first on Day 1 and learned how to build, program, and operate Lego Mindstorms EV3 Robots. They also did so well, that together we learned how to use the touch sensor and the color sensor. Not only did they learn that day, but I did too!
     Day 2 was our "kiddos" as I like to call them- 44 to be exact. They're our 6-13yr olds and they were a Blast! My teens returned to help our kiddos and talk them through it with me. Along with my teens, I had 2 agents, 2 program assistants, 1 fellow intern, and 6 adult volunteers. It was great to see everyone working together! Our kiddos were in groups and they too learned how to assemble, program, and operate their group's EV3 robot. They did fantastic!
     SET (science, engineering, technology) is where my heart is. I absolutely love almost anything that has to do with SET or STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics). Therefore, along with learning with robots, our kiddos and teens learned what the 4-H STEM initiative is, what kind of jobs fall into the SET career field, and what opportunities they had in the world of SET/STEM.

     What I want to do after I graduate college changes about every week. However, the thought of eventually becoming a 4-H agent has never left my mind. This summer has made me fall in love with 4-H and UK CES even more. Watching youth learn something new, or teens exhibiting leadership skills, or even seeing a kid at Wal-Mart that remembers you're the girl from 4-H is truly a blessing.
    

I just hope that one day I can impact youth as much as they continue to impact me. I'll forever be thankful for my summer spent as the Martin County 4-H Intern. It has been incredible! 
-Bre Howell
Martin County 4-H Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment