Monday, July 25, 2016

My Final Weeks in Shelby County


My final weeks in Shelby County.... This is such a bittersweet time. I am so grateful that I was awarded this opportunity to be a part of such a great program. I came into this internship with no expectations, no knowledge of 4-H, and no connection with it all. I can now have the pleasure of saying I have experience in 4-H and in FCS in Extension. It truly is the hidden gem. I have fallen in love.






These last couple of weeks I have been working on my manners program and completing that project. I think that if I were to ever do that program again I would have it in longer sessions. Getting all the information and practicing it all took more time than I thought. I would have a bigger lunch, with more courses to really test the kids. But, other than that I think the program went great. The kids said they had fun, and would be willing to do something like this again.

Overall, I still think getting licked by the cow was my favorite part of the summer, besides working with the staff and another intern, Danielle in the Shelby County office. Getting to interact with them has really brought me comfort while being here. I knew nobody here, wasn't familiar with the area or even Kentucky for that matter. I stepped out of my comfort zone, and I am excited to do it again.



This program is great for people that don't know what extension is and to learn, and for those that grew up in their own county offices. You can grow and learn coming from both sides of the spectrum. It is great to see that people love their jobs, and are willing to care about their community.

No comments:

Post a Comment