Friday, July 1, 2016

The beginning of a long (but amazing) journey!

So extension has pretty much been my entire life for well, my entire life. I can't remember a time I wasn't heavily involved in 4-H or practically living in the Hopkins County Extension Office. So when I learned I would be interning in the Muhlenberg County Extension Office, I was a little nervous. I didn't know much about this office, like where the cups were if I wanted water or how they set the tables up in the meeting room, or if I could build that banter with the beautiful receptionists like I could in Hop Co. But on the first day I parked my car in the "Staff Parking" (that was a new one) and I walked up to a door that had a sign on it "Welcome Amelia!". Needless to say it didn't take me very long to get adjusted... like two hours really. I get to work under one of the best agents in the state with an equally amazing staff. The first 6 weeks have flown by and I really have learned so much! I do indeed know where the cups are now, how to set up the tables right, and I definitely have that banter built with Janie and Kristen. My first week was one for the books. I learned how to make a quilt, process chickens, how to "conquer" the Homemakers of Muhlenberg County, how many teens you can fit in an Eno at a Teen Club meeting, and just exactly how close you can get to an agent if you are sitting at the same desk. Somewhere in the middle I figured out how to balance ending a successful State Officer Year and a killer internship, still not really sure how I did that. One of my favorite things I've done this summer is 4-H Camp. I have attended the West Kentucky 4-H Camp for 12 years now and I've done a little of everything. I've been a camper, CIT, Teen Volunteer, Adult Leader, and now I got to be an intern. It was definitely a new experience and one that I look forward to doing again. Another thing I accomplished is that I finally decided on a summer project for July 28th. Muhlenberg County used to have an amazing Cloverbud program but for some reason it started to dwindle so the quit. Younger aged children are a huge passion of mine so Mackenzie and I decided that a Cloverbud Day Camp would be the perfect project and a great was to integrate those younger children into the program they will approach soon enough. So we are hosting a Cloverbud "Discovery" Camp: Discovering 4-H. We are looking at having over 80 youth in attendance that day and I am beyond excited. We will have classes like Woodworking, Cooking, Dancing, and Wet N Wild games, each of them "Camp" themed! Needless to say, the past six weeks have been incredibly busy and productive and I look forward to the next six, along with the rest of my journey in Cooperative Extension!

No comments:

Post a Comment