Friday, July 22, 2016

Summer in Review

           While reflecting on my entire summer with extension, it simply makes me smile. Working in the Knox County Extension office is a blessing, not only because it is my home county, but because of the unity of the office. If one employee or agent needs help with anything, the others never hesitate to offer their assistance. While here I have saw the staff encounter some really rough people and they continue to have the same professionalism that they always have. Knowing that each office is different, I would like to say that the Knox County office is excellent at what they do.

           My Beef Interest Day went very well. We had less people than we had anticipated to come, but the participants who did come got a lot out of the program. We had three adults and two 4H members that attended. We really targeted the new beef producers, beef producers who have children, and the local FFA chapter. With the recent retirement of the FFA Advisor, it was really hard to target this group. Either way, the one who attended was the chapter President who really enjoyed the day. We had an hour long classroom session, where we discussed anything and everything from breeds to dietary needs, diseases and even proper handling of cattle. Once we had concluded this we had an awesome lunch made for us by a local beef cattle producer and his wife. We then proceeded to my family’s farm where the younger ones fell in love with showing cattle. The adults really appreciated getting to see the proper selection of cattle and having cattle’s anatomy explained right on a cow. I believe that this fall when we begin to do some livestock club meetings we will see these eager members back to get their own animal to show next summer. The older men who came, all have plans to get a small beef cattle herd in the future. I look forward to seeing how their herd turns out in the future.

           I have learned a lot of things from my supervising agent Wayne Kirby this summer. The most important thing that he has stressed to me is to treat everyone the same. This is a very valid point that he makes. It is easy to get caught up going to big farms with new John Deere tractors and state of the art facilities and not go visit the small producers. The small producers are just as important as the large producer. The next thing that he has stressed to me is that no matter how much you dislike something you must ensure that you get that producer the proper information and help with their agricultural endeavors. Something that I dislike doesn’t mean that every producer doesn’t have to like it. You have to overcome the difference and help them just like you would someone with two hundred beef cattle. The third major thing that he has stressed to me is that you have to fit in with the people. With the very diverse culture of Eastern Kentucky, if you look or act better than them they will just write you off. I saw this in action my very first day. I showed up wearing khakis and a button down shirt tucked in with nice boots. We went to the local feed store to test the moisture content of his corn and he ask if I was from the state. I immediately knew that this is a blue jeans and polo dress code after he said that. The next thing that I was taught was you are an aid to a farmer not their boss. When they ask for help and you give recommendations you can’t get discouraged if they do not do what you recommend, it’s their choice and their money.

          
          I would like to think that after seeing the inside of extension that I would love to become an agriculture agent in the future. I believe that there is a bright future for the agriculture in the state as well as Eastern Kentucky. If we can bridge the gap between producers and the newest technologies offered that production rates and yields will soar. I look forward to seeing agriculture change in years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment