Tuesday, July 26, 2016

As things come to an End


The end of the summer is quickly approaching meaning my time in Jefferson County is coming to an end. It has been a very busy but fun summer and it’s bittersweet that it’s almost over. I have learned so much and experienced new things such has going to Cloverbud and 4-H camp for the first time also attending Project WET training. I have been put out of my comfort zone but for the better. This summer has made me work on my professional skills while learning about cooperative extension. I came into this internship not knowing anything about 4-H and not knowing what to expect this summer. I am so blessed to be given this opportunity. I’ve met a lot of great people who I will have for a while and learned professional behaviors that are very useful.

Last month I had the opportunity to facilitate a workshop for camp orientation which is one of the things that put me out my comfort zone. I had to prepare a lesson on understanding children and had to teach that to four different classes on my own. After the first class I felt comfortable speaking in front of everyone.

The week of July 12th
I conducted my summer project which was a 3 day camp on physical fitness and health for 9 and 10 years at Cane Run Elementary school. These kids are part of a summer

program partnered with the YMCA. For my camp I taught the kids the importance of being physically fit and eating healthy and how it will be beneficial to your future because it decreases your risks of getting diabetes, cancer, and can help you live a longer life. I incorporated fun games and activities with a healthy snack at the end of each day. The kids seem to have enjoyed it and learned something new.  






Last week I had the opportunity to go to 4-H Camp for the first time. I really enjoyed myself and met some great people. I taught a tye dye class which the kids loved and got a chance to ride in a boat. It was a great experience and I see why the leaders like to come every year.



Closing the doors on this summer internship is going to be hard. I have experienced so much and learned so many life skills. I can really say that I can consider myself being an agent one day in the future once I’m done with school. I love kids and giving back to the community so I believe this was the perfect internship for me. I will take with me what I learned this summer. I’m going to miss the people that I work with. They welcomed me and made me feel like a part of their family.

No comments:

Post a Comment