Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Extension More Like Home Than the Office!

During the past 6 weeks or 7 since I'm a little late. I've never felt more at home at any other job it has been such a great experience being able to see the ins and outs of the Extension Service through the Breathitt County office. The best way that I can describe my experience is like a never ending race we are constantly running around setting up for different featured programs. Whether its Canoe Trip, Lunch at the Market, Robotics Training, Camp Teen Meetings,  Tractor Supply Promotions, Relay for Life, Or Going to a Conferences its a never ending journey. It has been a very fulfilling job to be able to provide farmers and local citizens with the resource to information.
I created a Backyard Poultry Workshop that had about 15 individuals attend. It was a amazing filling to be able to teach my own workshop and give some valuable information to individuals that had a desire for it. I going to continue that workshop with a follow up later in the summer. In creating the idea of a poultry workshop Ty Back my ANR agent was ecstatic, because the office had acquired some chickens and hoop pens, but had no clue as to what they were going to do with them. I decided that I would use the chickens as a learning tool to grab peoples attention but to also inform them of safe handling and care methods when raising poultry. I also used the hoop pens as demonstration models for do it yourself farming. This really touched home with the community, seeing how they are very rural area and almost all have small farms that they raise some of their own foods.
In summary my experience has been more than exceptional. It has really allowed me to be exposed to things that I have never been exposed to before. It has allowed me to make connections to people all across the great state of Kentucky and continues to allow me to grow as a individual.  My experience is something that I will take with me no matter where I go. My Co-workers at the office are like family and they have truly made my experience what it has been thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment