Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Whirlwind of a Time

Wow! I can't believe I'm in the beginning of week three. Where has the time gone? Jefferson county extension is different than a lot of extension offices, but I think we manage alright! Being a communication intern makes for some interesting days. I feel like I've done it all! I'll tell my friends stories and they'll say to me "what is your internship for again?". Something tells me that that's how the life of extension goes. I have had a chance to go out and work with some of our agents, it amazes me the wide variety of things that go on in this place.

My favorite outing was to one of our community gardens - we have 10 urban community gardens, how cool is that? This particular garden is huge and in the most beautiful location. It's set on a historic piece of property and we are frantically rushing around to get it ready for a festival we are having there in June. I helped build raised beds and plant corn and beans (who said city kids can't work the land? No tractors for us!), we also moved these enormous bows for a high tunnel. We're still out there a lot, last Friday I took some videos of them putting in the plasticulture. Which if you haven't watched them lay that stuff, its pretty amazing.

We do a ton of government relations here and it has been very cool to see how that works and meet our Metro Council members. Our office works closely with some of the members and I have gotten a chance to sit in on some pretty interesting meetings Hayley is very good at her job and I am learning so much working with her.

I have gotten a crash course in editing our websites, made infographics, sent emails and shaken a lot of hands. This is only the start, I am excited to see what the rest of my time here brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment