Friday, June 12, 2015

Summer is Here

I've fortunately been able to participate in many activities outside of the office over the last week and a half, therefore taking advantage of the beautiful summer weather. As fair draws closer for Boone county, 4-H'ers are preparing their projects and livestock shows are beginning.

I assisted with the District 3 horse show, and I enjoyed helping despite the fact that I'm not too fond of horses. I helped set up for the dressage competition, which was much more extensive work than I had anticipated (especially because it was so warm in the barn). I was able to interact with several 4-H members and learn about their projects, which was valuable to me because I don't know very much about equine.

The following Saturday, I attended the Top of Kentucky Sheep show. I had more experience in this aspect of 4-H because I showed sheep for several years. I helped tag-in and weigh lambs before the show started, and then once we began I assisted by taking photos of the winners and by announcing on the microphone. I really enjoyed doing this because it is something I had experience doing from my county fairs back home.

This past week was the State 4H Teen Conference, from Monday to Thursday. I attended with one of our 4-H agents and three of the teens from the 4-H program. The teen conference was much different than I had anticipated. It was very structured and planned out, almost like a camp. Myself, and the teens, attended tracks and workshops throughout the days there. I was able to assist but also learn about things such as video production, creating apps, and painting. We also attended numerous assemblies where awards were given out, speakers delivered their messages, and performances were made. There were two dances for the teens, and one was very similar to a high school prom (this was very different from any 4-H dances we ever had from my home county). Lastly, our district received the opportunity to participate in the "Breakout Games" for our district night out. If you've never heard of this awesome activity, check it out on google! It's a great way to participate in a fun, team building activity while solving clues, puzzles, and codes. Teen conference was a wonderful event, and I'm definitely glad I received the chance to spend the week there.

No comments:

Post a Comment