Sunday, June 14, 2015

Mercer county!

So far, my first 3 weeks have been crazy and filled with all different types of activities.  I've been swamped with work and that's why I'm just now getting a chance to blog for the first time. I'm interning this summer in Mercer County. I'm focusing on 4-H this summer. Mercer's 4-H agent is Dana Anderson and she is amazing! My first week we held a pancake for Election Day voters, washed country hams and went to a District 4 meeting in Clark County AND held a bicycle rodeo for cloverbuds. 

My 2nd week we had counselor training at Jessamine county. We have over 40 teens and adults (including Jessamine) attending camp this year. I started on camp paperwork and it's basically consumed my life ever since. Last Monday, the Boyle County intern and I held Mercer's camper orientation. Dana was unable to attend and Paige came to assist me since she's from Mercer and knows their camping program way better than me.  

Since orientation, I have been in our office board room inputting camper data. Numbers and names have about drove me crazy! But I guess it could totally be worse, right? We also had a 4-H council meeting and I got to meet some of Mercer County's highly involved volunteers. I was very impressed with how amazing their council is. 

Mercer county hosts the Fort Harrod Beef Festival and this is it's 10th year! Last week, Dana and her youngest daughter were on WKYT 27 News to talk about the beef festival. 

This past weekend I attended my first dairy show ever! It was a long day but it was definitely a good experience and I learned a lot about how livestock shows are conducted! So if you ever have to go to a livestock show and were not very involved in them before, go to it with an open mind! You'll learn a lot. 

Currently, I'm at State TeenConference sitting in Spotlight. STC is at UK and this is my first time back at conference since 2012 and it's great to be back.  Especially since we're in the new dorms and get Tempur Pedic beds!  

We leave for camp on Monday! It's been a great 4 weeks so far!










No comments:

Post a Comment