Friday, June 12, 2015

Life As A Double Agent

            Living the life of a double agent is exhausting. I am interning at the Butler County Cooperative Extension Agency with both the Family & Consumer Sciences Extension Agent and the 4-H Extension Agent. There are many responsibilities and challenges, but I have done so many amazing things and have been given so many wonderful opportunities throughout these past two weeks that it has been completely worth it! I have done so many different things that I think the best way to tell them all would be to start at the beginning.
            Day 1 on the job I came in and was promptly greeted by all the agents and staff. I decided at that moment that I had a wonderful group of people to work with for the summer. After being introduced to everyone and shown around the office I was immediately sent on my first mission with the Family & Consumer Sciences Agent. I was sent to the Green River Boys Camp to assist with a lesson on how to be a "24/7 Father." The boys at the camp were all serving time for various crimes, but all the boys in the class were cooperative and seemed to enjoy the class. The second half of the day I was with the 4-H agent at Bears Den. Bears Den is a local program for after school and in the summers. In this program there are many different classes that the children can take giving them many different opportunities for the summer! The class that I assisted with was a class on "Cooking While Camping." Unfortunately, it rained so we couldn't go outside to cook so we made food inside on the George Foreman Grill. We talked about food safety and different things that could be cooked on the grill. My first day on the job was a wonderful experience! Day 2 I was on the radio! I was so nervous to talk on the radio, but it was a blast! I had no idea what I was going to say, but it just came out of my mouth just as if I had planned it. It was definitely a different experience. Day 3 I went to Aerospace Camp in Madisonville. At Aerospace Camp the students made rockets and kites, rode in a helicopter and flew an airplane. Even I got to fly an airplane, it was crazy! Day 3 was definitely an amazing experience! Day 4 on the job my radio appearance was aired on the radio. I was so nervous I would sound silly, but I had many complements so I couldn't have been that bad. Later that day I got to hang out with the Ag Agent and go to a meeting with many of the important Agricultural leaders in Butler county. There they thought up new ways to help the farmers throughout the county and better further Ag Education. Day 5 on the job I was schooled on the ways of the 4-H Teen Leadership Conference. I did my orientation and helped the students with their orientation as well. My first week on the job was amazing and exhausting!
         Week 2 on the job was also very exhausting. I went to the 2015 4-H Teen Leadership Conference. At this conference there were students from allover the state coming together to learn new things. There were many workshops for the students to participate in such as rocket building, flag football and becoming a better leader. The students had many opportunities to learn and make new friends. I hope all of the students enjoyed Teen Leadership Conference as much as I did!  These past two weeks I have gained confidence and experience in areas I never thought I would and I have loved every minute of it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment