Monday, June 8, 2015

West Kentucky 4-H Camp- McCracken County

Week Three McCracken County 
By: Cole Bell 
McCracken County campers, adults, volunteers and teen leaders.
     I am lucky enough to have the opportunity to go to 4-H camp twice during my internship.  Once with McCracken County and once with Calloway County, the 4-H staff at McCracken County has been a fun crew to work with.  Each of the staff has always had a positive attitude, even if camp activities were a few minutes off schedule. 

     What I learned from 4-H camp.  Be positive, we are there for the kids and if they observe their leaders being positive then they will likely also have a positive attitude.  I enjoyed going to camp, it’s a great opportunity to be among such impressionable minds for a week.  Those few days can have a great impact on their lives. 

Campers enjoying some time at the
basketball court.
     I remember one boy talking to me during disc golf class, it started out when I asked him how his week was going and soon he was asking questions and telling me things about his week.  I was one of his adult leaders and I knew that some of the campers in our cabin were behaving differently than what is accepted as normal.  He asked me about the behavior of his fellow campers, he had been doing great so I reassured him of that and encouraged him to keep it up because positive behavior certainly affects the actions and behavior of the rest of the camp. 


     

So long as you are a patient person camp was a great experience, if I hadn’t been patient camp probably wouldn’t have been as pleasant.  Overall I had a great time and I can’t wait to go again with Calloway County in a few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment