Monday, June 1, 2015

2 Weeks down, 10 To Go!

The other lady interns will probably understand, but the best representation of the last 2 weeks can be described by the blisters on my feet ! :) My toes are rubbed raw from the high heels worn serving the beautiful ladies of the Homemaker group, Heels red from the rubbing of my muck boots worn working cows but all happen to be completely worth it! I've heard the expression used to describe a busy, involved individual as someone who wears "many hats", but to be an extension intern, I've decided you have to be one who wears "many shoes " ( and probably should buy new ones if they are giving me blisters ).

These past few weeks have been so busy and so fun! I'm sort of passed around the office, which means I never know what to expect but that's what is so enjoyable about this job! My first week began as Mary, our FCS agent, and I went to a local church to help the Bluegrass Community Action ladies pass out commodities to Senior Citizen. That was followed by searching high and low for antique spoons for us to use at the upcoming Craft Camp. This was just the first day!

Throughout the first week , I attended a 4-H shooting club meeting and got the chance to be one of the kids! We spent the evening shooting trap and skeet! That may have been my favorite activity!I also was charged with visiting the Garrard County Middle School and teaching the kids about the sugar in their drinks and making healthier choices and in the same day helped serve the Homemaker group at their annual meeting. I also had the chance to help out with a test plot of seed corn in Green County. It was a busy first week , but I learned a lot in a short time about the job of an Extension Agent. They never sit down! (Except to sew)

The second week was even busier. Tuesday, after the holiday, I traveled with the 4-H agent to the elementary school to teach the 2nd graders about Insects. Our 4-H agent, Eric, thought it hilarious to torment me with the thought of me having to hold the Tarantula he had brought! I nearly passed out on some 7 year olds. But it was all in good fun and the kids learned a lot and seemed to really enjoy it! That afternoon, I began planning Day Camps for June, which will be my full responsibility to organize and I cannot wait to completely get rolling!
Wednesday, I rode with the Ag agent, Jay, to check out some Tobacco Plants that were riddled with Root Rot. He also took some time to show me around the newly developed farm and small herd of cattle at the High School farm. They're doing a great job! I so wish we would have had that when I was in school. In the afternoon, I visited the Adult Day Care center with Mary and we did crafts and talked about exercise and healthy eating. The people there were so sweet and welcoming!

Thursday, I traveled to Harrison County with Eric to catch water bugs with elementary school students. They caught plenty of aquatic insects but mostly the kids tried to catch catfish with the nets. A couple of them succeeded. Silly kids!

 And finally on Friday, I started the morning in a barn working 90 cows to be bred by way of artificial insemination. Followed by finalizing plans for day camps, grocery shopping for this weeks Cooking Class, and working on assembling stools for the kiddos to complete in a few weeks!

There's so much to look forward to still and I'm getting super excited for things like Day Camp, the fair and 4-H camp. I'm learning a lot about the life of an Extension agent and enjoying getting my feet wet. These 2 weeks have flown by! The weeks ahead hold new adventures, though. And as for the first thing on my agenda....Go shoe shopping !

No comments:

Post a Comment