Friday, May 24, 2013

Woodford Livestock Mania



My first two weeks back at the Woodford County Extension Office has been amazing! Last summer I encountered several different first time experiences, and this summer kicked off in the same respect. The first week I hit the ground running with the Country Ham Project. For this stage of the project, the 4-H members from Woodford County, Anderson County, and Franklin County visited our office throughout the week to shuck their hams, clean them up a bit, and re-hang them in our ham barn.
Last summer my start date was after this step was already complete, so I was ecstatic to do something new yet again. That following Saturday I had the opportunity to attend a Livestock Judging and Oral Reasoning Clinic at the UK Animal Research Center. This clinic helped me to understand many things that were in the gray area for me last summer. From this clinic, I walked away with a better understanding of what judges actually do in livestock shows and the reasoning behind why and how they rank the animals in the shows. With the new knowledge our members gained from the clinic, they had a chance to display what they felt were their best choice animals in our mock livestock show the following week. The difference between me being around livestock this summer and being around them last summer is definitely my comfort level. Last summer I was petrified and this summer I love them, especially the goats!
My second week also came with the responsibility of planning the Teen Conference Orientation for my county. Teen Conference is one of the programs I look forward to this summer, and I can’t wait until it gets here. I couldn’t have asked to be placed back in a better place, and I’m looking forward to the rest of my summer here in Woodford County.

No comments:

Post a Comment