Friday, May 24, 2013

"A little bit of this, a little bit of that."

A little bit of this, a little bit of that.  This statement pretty much sums up the last two weeks of being at the Bracken County Extension Office.  I have worked with the FCS, ag, and 4-H agent although my main focus is 4-H.  The first day on the job I was out visiting with a farmer that was putting CIDRS in his cows to synchronize them all along the side of David Appelman, ag agent and Dr. Anderson from UK.  By the end of the first week I had worked with cattle producers, senior citizens with a nutrition lesson, visited tobacco producers’ greenhouses and started organizing for upcoming events in 4-H such as Cloverbud day camp and our annual showmanship show.
I had the privilege of getting to choose my project for the summer.  Ever since I could walk I have been showing livestock, so of course it was an interest to me to take on the 12th Annual Bracken County Showmanship Show.  Last night the show committee met, but before that I was at a dairy farm discussing rotational grazing with Dr. Phillips from UK.  After coming back from the dairy farm, I prepared for my meeting which went smooth.  I was proud of myself for conducting such a well organized event and got complimented on doing so too.  This year’s show looks like it is going to be a very successful event and I hope everyone is pleased with some of the changes that were made.
Rebecca Neltner, our county 4-H agent just started last fall and knew I would be a big help this summer. So far we have got a lot accomplished and have more things to take care of before the end of the summer.  For instance, getting me through my first time going to 4-H camp.  Luckily, I found out today that I am not only first timer going that is 21 years old. J Sunday I am leaving to go out west to Oklahoma and Texas as part of a school trip with Morehead State University.  I am a little nervous since the tornadoes destroyed so much, but I hope the trip is something to remember.  Although I’ll be more than ready to get back in the office and get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment