Friday, May 24, 2013

"Gotta" Get a Move on It!

This is going to be a very hectic and busy summer here at the Floyd County Extension Office. Our Office is MOVING to the new location in a couple of weeks. So, there has been a lot of boxing, taping, and labeling going on. Even though we are in the midst of moving, the show must go on! We are still going out in the field and doing programs.
                During my first week of my internship was a very crazy week. Not only did we accomplish a lot of packing, I attended a homemakers meeting, which is always enjoyable. Alongside of the Floyd County FCS Agent, Theresa Scott, I attended a weight loss program, “Wildcats Way to Wellness” at the local UPS location. On Friday, it was the kick off to start the “KY Proud, Plate it Up!” demonstrations at the Mountain Comprehensive Greenhouse as you can see in the photo on the right. This may have been the highlight of my first week back. We handed out samples of the recipes Herbed Pasta Salad and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Spinach Slaw (I highly encourage EVERYBODY to tryout these recipes!). On Saturday of my first week, along with the FCS Agent, Theresa, we set up a display and were in charge of hospitality at the Floyd County Childhood Fair. This was a very fun and exciting event. At the fair, there was a petting zoo, free health screenings, preschool registration and a traveling circus company from Cincinnati that came down as part of the entertainment for the children (and adults). As you can see in the photo below, I am with two of the gentlemen from the traveling Cinncinati Circus.  
                During my second week, I continued the “Wildcats Way to Wellness” program at the local UPS location. This time I brought along some of the “KY Proud, Plate it Up!” Honey Raisin Muffins for the participants and they all seemed to really enjoy them! Thursday, I fired up my special project for the summer, “Wildcats Way to Wellness with Senior Citizens: Low-fat Diets.” I visited the Senior Citizen Center in Prestonsburg during lunch to give a nutrition lesson over low-fat diets. I provided handouts, goodie bags and interacted with the group once I was finished presenting. For my Special Project this summer, I will be venturing out to all of the Senior Citizen Centers in Floyd County and will be giving a nutrition lesson over low-fat diets during lunch-time. Friday, I returned to the Mountain Comprehensive Greenhouse to do another “KY Proud, Plate it Up!” demonstration where we provided recipe samples of the “KY Proud, Plate it Up!” Very Berry Salsa, which is delicious!
                Though, it has been a bit hectic these past two weeks, it has been so pleasurable to be back in Floyd County at the Extension Office and interacting with the wonderful community we have. Hopefully we get everything pack up and out of our current office and into the new office SOON! I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment