Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A dash of this, a dash of that!

     Well, my internship is off to a great start! We are working on settling into the new part of the extension building, I have my own office, well for now! We have been organizing and cleaning on top of preparing for day camps, cattle shows, teen conference, and all the in betweens that must get finished. 
     I was able to go to an after school cooking class that is offered in a lower income high school on my second day with the one of the FACS and one of the 4-H agents. I really enjoyed the program and the life skills that it offered to the youth that participated in the program. I think that it is important that these life skills are offered to them because sometimes kids are not exposed to them. Cooking is also a great way to build community. In one of my communication classes, we were broken up into groups for the semester and our first assignment was to have a meal together during the next class period. “Breaking Bread” with someone is one of the ultimate community building tools and having the youth prepare a meal together is even more community building because they must work together.  
     Over the weekend of May the 25, I went to my first beef show. I learn a lot about cows that I had not a clue about. The irony of the situation is, my great-uncles are big in the cattle industry in my county and area, yet I did not really have a clue about what went on at the shows. I commend every person and youth for all of their time and dedication to their animals. Raising an animal the is so much larger than you can be difficult. Everyone did a wonderful job at the show, hats off to all of them!
     I will be helping out with “Tasty Travels,” Wednesday, May 28 with one of the FACS agents. “Tasty Travels” is a Northern Kentucky collaboration exploring recipes from the “Living Well; More Than a Cook Book,” that the National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences publishes. This year, Food Service personnel, Farmer’s Market Vendors, FCS Teachers and Staff, and FCCLA members were the target audience. Kate (the FACS agent) and I will be making a holiday snack mix, Rocky Top Orange Cake, and Summer Fruit Salad. Each recipe features a different state and it’s unique ingredients. 
     Teen conference is right around the bend and so is the workshop that I have planned, “True Colors.” The workshop is based around the color personality test and will show participants what their “color” is and what strengths come with that color, but also where they can improve. “True Colors,” will also show participants where they can collaborate and use each other’s strengths when the colors collaborate not only in the workshop, but in the classroom and in their day to day lives.
     With all of the commotion I have also planned out a day camp for ages 9-12-year-olds. The day camp is called, “Eat Between the Lines,” and will focus on different foods that are eaten or made in novels that kids read. I have found some recipes that seem yummy and some that are not all that! I think that the camp will be really enjoyable and another way for youth to become interested in reading. They will also get to make one of the treats that they taste!

     In just a small amount of time, so much has happened! I cannot wait to see what the rest of the summer has in store for me and Campbell County! Until then, I am sure I will be seeing some of you at Teen Conference.
 
You just never know who you may see around the office... Or when you are cleaning!

The Martin brothers and their Cow/Calf at the district show.

No comments:

Post a Comment