Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Boyle County Blitz


Man oh man, what a couple of weeks it has been! Time is flying by, and I am having the time of my life! Here at Boyle County, they tell you to start your pushups way before the internship begins and, won't you believe it, that is the best advice I’ve gotten so far. Within an hour and a half on my first day, I was leading nutrition and exercise classes for Professor Popcorn to first graders at a local elementary school. Running around like a football player, swimming through the classroom, bouncing in the air like a basketball player, and dancing in circles around the tiny desks, all the while teaching these children to love health and to reduce the obesity risk in Kentucky! It was a blast.

From that day on, I haven't stopped running, that’s for sure. I've painted crafts with a low-income elementary afterschool program; helped unpack, organize, and repack a bazillion boxes for our annual yard sale; organize and deliver another bazillion boxes of toiletries for a children’s home; and held pizza and popsicles parties for the winning classes of our rub-a-dub community service project.

Having met my need to be crafty and clean, I’ve also been given the opportunity to get some mud on my boots at our goat, sheep, and pig KUIP tagging. Running up and down the huge hill delivering tag envelopes to every huge truck and trailer coming through our process (270 in all) was definitely my workout for the day.

After getting some dirt under my nails, I cleaned up nice and headed to several meetings, like our District staff meeting, 4H council meeting, County fair meeting, and the District horse meetings. Seeing that side of the job was a nice break. Being a sorority girl, I knew the parliamentary procedure well, and was amazed at how easy it was to keep up with all the important talk.

To top it all off and to make sure we all stay nice and knowledgeable in our health, our county held a county health fair. I helped alongside our local hospital community resources team, which ironically is where I interned last year. The tests ran in all sorts of areas like blood lipids, BMI, cardiovascular and stroke risks all enable our community to know their body.

All in all, I’m excited for the coming weeks which will include Babysitting Academy that I will lead, Teen conference, District Horse, and Bayou and Brass here in my favorite town of Danville, KY. Hope everyone else is having as much fun as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment