Thursday, May 30, 2013

What's Happening in Oldham County!!

My first couple of weeks working with Cooperative Extension has been very interesting to say the least. I must admit, I was very nervous my first day. I had no idea what to expect, and being in a remotely foreign area didn’t help much. I quickly overcame my first day jitters after meeting Kelly (my agent) and the rest of the staff here at the Oldham County office, they’re great! I was eager to see exactly what I would be doing, I was handed a lengthy and jammed packed schedule but after reviewing it, I knew that I would thoroughly enjoy the time that I would be spending here. From there I learned that I would have no “special treatment” just because I’m “the intern.”
Here, I’m treated just like one of the staff, my very first day I was thrown right in to assist in a training session on baking. The session was held for our Busy 4-Hers, whom I quickly learned lived up to their name. I was assigned a group that I would enjoy the rest of the evening making the most delicious treat I’ve had in a while, Colossal Cookies! Just when I thought everything was a piece of cake, I found myself stopping five year olds from chugging bags of sugar and licking their fingers clean of icing. After a quick lesson on cross contamination, I found a keen liking for what I was doing. Though I have worked with children in the past, I have never worked with a more intelligent group of children in my life. I was blown away. It was here that I learned, 4-H is the real deal, and is a program that I am more than honored to work with. Not only do they work in preparing children for tomorrow through their various training sessions, but all the while developing leadership and social skills.
As the week continued to unfold I was assigned my “special project”, and I must admit, it has my name written all over it. I will assist in coordinating and finding speakers to talk about skin care, make up application, and fashion for our Fashion Revue, held at the county fair. I was more than happy to accept this project, which I’m currently in the process of finalizing. Aside from assisting the 4-Hers, I had the pleasure of working with another group, with a slightly different demographic, “The Homemakers.” I honestly didn’t know what to expect with helping the Homemakers set up and prepare for their annual meeting/banquet, but this too was a great experience. This group is like your ideal sorority for older ladies. Needless to say, by the end of the day I was invited to learn to knit, perfect my cooking skills and build my own garden. These women are exceptionally than talented.
My first week ended with something that hasn’t been done in eight years.  An office retreat! How lucky am I? The crew and I headed to downtown Louisville where we had the pleasure of walking the bridge, renting four passenger buggy bikes, and eating lunch on the waterfront. This was a great bonding experience and created memories that I’m sure I will carry with me for a lifetime. We need those more often! J
As for this week, we are busy preparing for camp and project days. As Kelly would say, “We are planning ahead and working for tomorrow.” I’m super excited for camp and the various activities we have planned for project days. I think the kids will love it! Above everything, I am more excited and very fortunate to work with such a great agent and staff. Oldham County is nothing like what I expected and is very different from anything that I’m used to, but I’m very glad to be here and couldn’t have asked for a better assignment. I hope you guys are having as good of an experience that I’ve had thus far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment