Friday, May 24, 2013

Environmental Camp and Activities Galore!!



            I hope this blog finds everyone enjoying their internship! I know I am! This week wraps up my second week at Robertson County Extension Office. I have had a wonderful experience so far. I am not originally from Robertson County but I only live about 10 minutes away in Harrison County. Since I was not very familiar with the county Shannon Farrell, ANR/4-H agent in Robertson County, who I am working with this summer, gave me a tour of the “big city”. For those of you who don’t know, Robertson County is the smallest county in Kentucky so therefore “big city” is definitely a joke. On my tour Shannon showed me where some of the local farmers lived, and introduced me to a couple of people from the community. I also got introduced to the office staff, and the two office cats, Daisy and Princess. On the first day Shannon and I enjoyed lunch at the Old Barn, which is one of the few places to eat in Roberson County. I was amazed that I ate for just over $2.00 (that included a burger and fries)!!
            Although Robertson County is small there is still a lot going on. On Tuesday I worked with FCS agent, Terry Whalen to provide healthy snacks at a local school program. There is only one school in Robertson County that is a K-12 school. We provided snacks to Kindergarten through 6th grade students. We made fruit kabobs with the students. Terry also discussed with the students the benefits of healthy eating. They had no problem telling us what they did and did not like.
            Environmental camp was another big event of the week. Robertson County and Harrison County attended Environmental Camp together. It was held at the North Central 4-H Camp. It was a one night, two day retreat for 4th and 5th grade students. The students had a fun time learning about conservation, insects, reptiles, birds, and even did a pond study. Students also got to enjoy a nature hike that we took at night. I found out quickly that we have some 4-Her’s who are scared of the dark considering they were attached to my side. A great time was had by all at Environmental Camp.
            We had a beef association meeting on Thursday night where members discussed the upcoming beef field day and upcoming 4-H/FFA livestock show.
            This week I have done mailings and other office work. I also helped Terry with a program at the local nursing home where I spoke to the residents about changes in agriculture over the years. They enjoyed the program and asked me many questions. They were quite the chatty bunch! I enjoyed the fact that by discussing agriculture I brought back many memories for them, and they told me all about it, and more! To end the week I attended a camp planning meeting that was held at the Harrison County office. It made me really excited for camp!
            I have enjoyed the first two weeks and am excited to see what is to come over the next couple of weeks.  I hope everyone is having a good experience!

To Be Continued….
Shelby Clifford

No comments:

Post a Comment