Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Just getting started..


My first two weeks as the Martin County 4-H intern have been full of new experiences. Since, I’m not from Martin County the first item of business was familiarizing me with the agents as well as the county. Next, the 4-H agent, Joe Maynard, and I went to the local middle school to recruit for 4-H camp as well as talk about my experiences as a student at UK. (Go Cats!) Also, the extension office and the school system partnered together last week to do a trail day at their local trail, God’s Promise. We brought sunflower seeds and small pots for each student to plant with. I have been working with Eugena Wilson, the Family Consumer Science agent as well. She had a basket weaving class with homemakers last week that I assisted with. This was my first ever basket making experience, there was a lot of trial and error but eventually I got the hang of it.

                        


My mother is the Family Consumer Science Agent in Lawrence County so I was recruited to help out with the raised beds and landscaping at their office and around the county. A lot of new experiences took place during those two days; I had not planted anything before.





I also assisted the EFNEP and SNAP-Ed nutrition assistants in a program at the local food pantry. We spoke about importance of a healthy diet and the importance of eating vegetables and we gave away lettuce, carrot, and radish seeds. On the days that I haven’t been out in the county, I have been working on my intern project. I have decided to do a day camp, From the Garden to Your Plate. I am planning a 3 day program for the students incorporating fruits and vegetables grown in the greenhouse. Today we had a training for our 4-H camp counselors; the teens from Lawrence, Floyd, and Martin convened at the Martin County Office to go through the guidelines and rules as well as make flags for camp and choreograph their routine for the talent show. So far my internship has been interesting, but I'm just getting started; I'm excited to see what the next two weeks have in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment