Friday, May 24, 2013

And the FUN begins....



                I began my internship on May 13, 2013 at the Mercer County Cooperative Extension office. The past two weeks have been filled with meetings, planning, and working with children. In the past two weeks I have learned so much! One thing that I have loved in extension is that you do something different every day.
                In the past two weeks I have spent time not only working with the 4-H agent but I have also spent time working with the Ag. and FCS agent as well. I love all areas and have been blessed to work with all three agents.  We have all been working very hard on the upcoming Fort Harrod Beef Festival witch will take place next weekend May 31-June 1.
                Besides working on planning the Fort Harrod Beef Festival, I have also spent a lot of time working with our 4-H clubs. With it being the end of the school year I was asked to promote 4-H to our 3rd grade classrooms and inform them of the numerous opportunities that they will have as 4-H members.  We also held a Cloverbud bicycle rodeo that was super cute. The students learned about bicycle safety and then went through an obstacle course to test their riding skills.  I then went with our FCS agent to “Girl Talk” with 4th and 5th grade girls to discuss their changing bodies.  That was sure an interesting experience.  After this I worked with 4-H members as well as the adult Country Ham club members on washing their country hams that are in the curing process. The last club that I got to help with this week was the project club. This week they learned about electricity from a representative of Inter county energy. After the lesson on electricity the students then wired their own lamp and made lamps to take home with them.

Washing Country Hams



Project Club: Making Bottle Lamps
                   
                Even though I have spent a lot of time with kids I have still had meetings to attend in the evening.  So far in my internship I have been to a Beef Festival Meeting, 4-H Council Meeting, and the Mercer County Cattleman’s meeting.
                Outside of meetings I have worked on balancing the horse clubs account and helped getting the yearly report done.  I spent several hours working with our Ag agent the other day shoveling dirt and mulch. We worked on setting up and planting all the flowers for our flower variety trials that we are doing.
                The first two weeks has been every eventful and exciting. I have met many new people and look forward to meeting many more.  I am looking forward to the next two weeks we have many exciting thing planned here in Mercer County one of which being our big Beef Festival next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment