Friday, May 17, 2013

Planting Crop Research Plots in Daviess County- Blog #1

Hey guys, my first couple weeks have been packed with things to do. My first week I became a certified as a private pesticide applicator, certified in the Beef Quality Assurance Program, and, although I wasn’t qualified, took the class and test to become certified as a Pork Quality Assurance Advisor training. Also in the first week I went to a couple different staff meetings, one was for the entire district 6 extension staff, the other was one for the agricultural and horticultural agents in the green river area.

Week one also consisted of a lot of farm visits, mostly to do with tobacco greenhouses and wheat fields. Preparing for summer projects and field days in the county have also been a large part of my first week. I am working with Henderson intern, Lauren Settles with a project on irrigation systems used in both Daviess and Henderson counties, so we’ve been coming up with letters to ask farmers for their participation and survey questions for our project.  Although I spent a ton of time outside of the office,  it hasn’t stopped me from getting to know people in the office as well. Since I am now one of the only 2 males in the office, I am often used for my lifting abilities. I’ve been moving boxes upstairs to the attic and downstairs to different offices. I like my role in the office so far!

Corn plots! Week two has been a complete 180 from week one. There have been no meetings, certifications, or classes to attend too. Since the weather has been great for farmers, and since Daviess county plants many corn and soybean research plots, a majority of my time has been devoted to planting corn and soybeans. I started Monday with my first soybean plot and by this Friday we have completed 5 more. One day I put in a 12 hour day planting 4 different plots around the county. We have plenty of help and I really enjoy the labor. Here is a photo of us planting a corn plot.



Along with the crop plots, I’ve been to Princeton for a wheat field day, helped spread fertilizer and taken soil samples for a forage field day Daviess County will host in August, and have worked to complete a letter to be sent to farmers regarding the summer project. Here is a photo of me taking a soil sample for the forage field day that will be held in august.


                
               


No comments:

Post a Comment