Friday, May 31, 2013

To Extension and Beyond!

Hello, my name is Mollie Dawahare and I am in my hometown of Pike County this summer!  I was reading about all those over in Western Kentucky with your corn fields and it made me smile because of how diverse Kentucky is!  This is my brother and me up at Lover's Leap (2 miles from my house). 



While the mountains look beautiful and picturesque, driving through them is another story... While being at extension these past two weeks, I have developed a better understanding of Kentucky's geography and just how much travel is expected of extension agents.  Nevertheless, it has been a learning experience and one that I will never forget.  Traveling to Westcare, a correctional facility for those men struggling with drug and alcohol abuse, and teaching them about getting their adequate amounts of grains and vegetables was an eye-opening experience to say the least.  These men were so interested in what we had to say;  they were completely engaged and asked questions throughout the lesson.  I have also had the privilege of educating our community on the nutritional preventatives of strokes at the hospital's Stroke Awareness Fair.   My agent, Leslie, and I had a very fun day explaining our food models, sugar, salt, and fat tubules to everyone.  Most people were amazed at the five pound fat mold.  Hopefully, that spurred some motivation in them to adopt healthier lifestyles!

In addition to working with the community on prevention and nutritional care, I have been preparing for 4-H camp with the younger generation of ours and surrounding counties.  We attended training yesterday in Johnson County where the High Schoolers learned to communicate with each other effectively and participated in a few team-building activities.  I had the opportunity to teach a unit on dress code, policies, and objectives.  I created a "What Not to Wear" segment where the kids had a fashion show of what was appropriate and inappropriate for camp.  We shared some laughter with the bathing suit models!



We also just hosted the Homemaker's Association's Annual meeting.  We decorated the main hall in a patriotic theme.  Miss Kentucky, Jessica Casebolt, was our guest speaker and a few community members came to judge the art show.  It was quite the event! 

Each day I am learning more and more about the many facets of extension.  It amazes me all that we are involved in throughout the community! I am thoroughly looking forward to all the adventures to come this summer.  Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment