Friday, May 24, 2013

A Little Bit of Everything.

-->
The past two weeks have flown by! My first day in the office was May 13th. I am the intern for Nutrition Education Programs. During my first week I learned many things about what they do in the office. Each person has a different task but in the end their work comes together. I have had the opportunity to work with most of them in the office already.


I had to get a badge to get into the building so I am official!


On my second day in the office we had staff meeting. This pretty much lasted all day but I got to experience how planning of different events and assigning of tasks occurs. Also, we had to celebrate two birthdays so of course we had ice cream and brownies!
 
So far I have worked on updating a proposal. I had to type it in the proper template on the computer and I edit it each time it needs changes or additions. 

I have also worked with the registered dietitian in the office and became familiar with the LEAP program that is being taught to children ages 3-8 throughout the state. I proof read each newsletter and facilitator’s guide and updated the content. I changed MyFoodGuidePyrimid to MyPlate and researched current statistics to replace the old ones.

EFNEP and SNAP-Ed assistants throughout the state send their receipts from programs into the NEP office to be reimbursed. In order for them to receive their money our office has to verify each receipt and scan it into the computer. I have helped taped the receipts to paper and total up the amounts. This is an everyday task for me. More were brought for me to do as I was typing that!

During my first week, Food Preservation workshop was being held on UK’s campus. Our office was in charge of the shopping for the food and canning supplies. So I was off to Walmart to get the supplies. The next day it was held at Erikson Hall in the kitchen. Dr. Sandra Bastin taught the workshop and I helped assist on stirring the food during her demonstration, preparing the canning jars, preparing a recipe, and cleaning up after the workshop. About 25 assistants and agents attended at our location. It was being streamed live to two other locations. At each location the participants were broke into groups and assigned a recipe to make and preserve using a boiling water bath. I was assigned to Squash Pickles and they turned out pretty good! 

The Nutrition Education Programs office produces the Food & Nutrition Calendar each year. I helped format the recipes that are going to be used in the 2014 calendar.

Hopefully the weeks to come go as smoothly as the first two have!

Erin Gibson










No comments:

Post a Comment