Thursday, August 7, 2014

The End of a Great Summer

I am approaching my very last day as an extension intern. My second to last week was our county fair. We had record numbers in 4H exhibits and overall higher numbers than we have had in years. I helped check in fair exhibits in the morning and then judged general youth in the afternoon. The youth judging was a bit stressful because some of the parents were volunteering! Devin judged with me and it ended up being a fun day.

On Tuesday we had the office open for everyone to walk through and see the exhibits. This was part of my independent project. I made a table by the entrance and made a "Plate It Up" display. I handed out samples of Bacon Tomato Dip and Cucumber, Corn, and Bean salsa. Overall, we had several people come through, and everyone enjoyed a little snack as the walked through the exhibits.

The rest of last week was spent cleaning out our kitchen. We are planning a kitchen remodel this month, and everything has to be moved out of the kitchen. Two days were spent boxing and going through 10 years worth of "stuff" in the kitchen. It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun to have everyone in the same room hanging out.

 This week has been slow. I have finished all my programs and activities for the summer, so I've just been helping whoever needs helps. I entered tons of addresses for our ag agent, helped label and organize state fair exhibits for our 4H agent, and stuffed hundreds of folders for the first 4H meetings for our program assistant. It's somewhat monotonous work, but it's kept me busy. Tomorrow will be my last day and I will be very sad to leave this office.

I have really enjoyed the experience I've got from this internship. I've learned so much about the work and effort needed to plan and implement programs. I've learned about the benefits of being an Extension employee. I've learned so much about funding and what it takes to run an operation like this and in turn where all that money comes from. I've learned the importance of teamwork, both inside and outside the office. I've seen the agents work together on programs where areas overlap, and I've seen the agents work with other agencies such as the Health Department to help a common audience. I've learned infinite amounts of the work Extension does. I had no idea what all they did for the community when I started in May, but now any time someone asks what I did this summer, I take that opportunity to share what an awesome resource the extension office is. They have something for everyone, and I love that the agents main goal is to serve and build the community in whatever way they can. From Mrs. Vicki I have learned how to spot needs in the community and in turn how to meet that need in a way the community will respond too and accept. It may sound easy, but giving help to people who don't always want help is a full time job. And that is only a portion of what agents have to do. The ladies in this office work so hard and do it with an awesome attitude.

Probably my favorite part about this job this summer is the people I have met. I've worked several other jobs and I have yet to work in an environment like this. Everyone here at Marshall County Extension Office is positive, encouraging, and fun, and it makes it the best atmosphere to work in. Even outside of my home office, every person I've come in contact with in extension has been extremely welcoming and willing to answer any questions I have. This made me feel comfortable asking questions and in turn I think that allowed me to learn more than I have at any other job. I cannot thank UK and all the extension personal enough for giving me this opportunity this summer, and I definitely hope to see you all later in my career!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment