Monday, August 4, 2014

And We’ll Start the Bidding at $8.00. Do I Hear $8, Can I Get $8, Anybody $8



From interviewing volunteers and 4-Hers for spotlights in the 4-H newsletters, to visiting other county fairs and livestock auctions, I have had a fully rounded experience.  This internship is an opportunity I would recommend to anyone interested in working with youth and adults in the community.

 
 These past 2 weeks have been incredible.  I was able to spend a few days with the Meade County Extension Office Staff as I assisted with 4-H entries and judging for their county fair.  I made it back to Meade County one other day to help with registration and observe the livestock auction they host every year.  The support of the community for this program was truly incredible!  I knew livestock sold for very high amounts at the State Fair but had never gone to experience how it worked or where the money went to.  Here in Meade County, they run their auction with the same guidelines and I was able to learn and experience how the auction works and astonished by the community support of the 4-Hers.


Friday of this week, as most of you know, was the day for Intern Roundup.  We visited the Three Chimneys Farm and toured their facility.  We got to take the time to talk with other interns and reminisce over our summer experiences, the ups and downs and whole 9-yards.  This was a good opportunity to see that there are differences in every office across the state.  Between trips to Meade County for the fair and Intern Roundup this week, I began completing interviews with some of the 4-H volunteers and 4-Hers for the newsletter spotlight.  This has given me the opportunity meet other volunteers within our organization and get a chance to talk with them and learn what drives them to volunteer.  Along with this, I have also gained the helpful experience of writing up news articles.
 

Over the past couple of weeks I have also been able to work with our EFNET (Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program) employee as we did activities with a wide variety of community members, from youth to senior citizens.  I assisted in a nutritional education lesson at Kid’s Crew, helped with weigh-ins and explaining nutritional education material at the Senior Citizen’s Center, and helped with decorating cupcakes as well.  I was able to make it back out the the Farmer’s Market the past two weeks and take a larger role in talking with the community about healthy recipes and handing out samples.

 

Rounding out this past week, I led a 4-H forestry field day at Pearman Forest, the local environmental education and research center. As the environment is something I am very interested in, I was really excited to share with the kids about tree identification, leaf characteristics, and conservation education.  We did a nature hike to look at a few tree species and compare them and made a few crafts along the way including leaf prints, leaf coasters, and tree ring necklaces.   
We also had a special lunch this week at Carole Goodwin’s home, the Meade County 4-H agent.  Here my agent, Carole, Lydia (Meade Co. Intern), Alex (Breckenridge Co. Agent), and Tammy (Breckenridge Co. Intern), were able to come together one last time to enjoy one another’s company as our internships are coming to a close.  Lastly, we finished up split-fair entries with vegetable and poultry entries.  We had a great turnout in vegetable entries and had some truly exceptional displays.






With just 2 weeks left of my internship it has really flown by.  Though I feel I have accomplished so much thus far, there is still more to be done.

Until next time,
Lindsey Boone, LaRue County 4-H                           

No comments:

Post a Comment