Friday, August 29, 2014

Lessons From the Extension Office

Lessons From the Extension Office
Patrick M. McCoy, ANR


Well guys looks like this is the last day of my assignment as an extension intern. This is a bittersweet moment, as I look back at the new friends, the fun times and my favorite part, being involved in the community. This is to be my last blog post as an intern, and I would like to use an excerpt from my last article for the Clay City Times to showcase my thoughts on this great experience as an extension intern. Enjoy!

Well folks, my assignment as the Powell County Extension Intern is quickly coming to an end. This is to be the last article Ill work on with that assignment, with that being said, I’d like to take this last opportunity to relay onto you what these few months at the extension office has taught me. Let me tell you, I’ve learned a lot, met many new people and bonded more with those in the community that I already knew.

The first lesson came soon after I started at the extension office, Mike had warned me that it may take a while for some of the farmers to warm up to me. This may be the one time that I can say that Mr. Reed has never been so wrong in his life. Not only did the farmers and really everyone affiliated with the extension office or its associations take me in as if I had been an active part of extension all alone but they really opened their hearts and became good friends of mine.

The second lesson came from Family Consumer Sciences Agent Pam Dooley, as I helped her with the annual Homemakers Association. I can still hear her warning, that I am brave for helping out and that there is a good chance that I will be the only male there. I think she was concerned that I would feel out of place. In reality though I fit right in, I actually saw several familiar faces there, had a wonderful meal and made new acquaintances. If any of you know Pam, she always awards small gifts to those that help her in the operations of that association. I didn’t get away with out being called out either. As she announced that the bravery award goes to Patrick McCoy I was genuinely surprised. My award was a plastic sheriff badge and inside its plastic holder I was once again reminded of Mike Reed’s pitiful photography skills as the terrible picture of yours truly that aired in this very paper at the beginning of my internship, stared back at me. Everyone at that meeting got a good laugh at that, and its really one of my fondest memories from this experience. So from this it was reinforced that going into any meeting or conference be prepared for a little embarrassment and just have a good time.  

My third lesson is a culmination of all of the events that the Powell County Livestock Producers Association hosted or endorsed. The lesson itself being that the members of this association are some of the hardest working individuals in our community. No matter whether personal ailments or the rain put a damper on their moods, the members always showed up with a smile and did what had to be done to keep things rolling. This group of hardworking ladies and gentlemen deserve a great thanks from myself as well as anyone that they have met at events throughout our community. They truly have been a great help to extension in Powell County, even though some may still not know what extension is or what it does, most everyone here recognizes the livestock association, clad in their iconic blue shirts and a smile to go with it.

The fourth lesson is something I just observed. If you’re working in extension, you probably don’t have much room in your vehicle to haul stuff. This would be because you’re still carrying items from previous events or for the ones to come. No doubt many of you have seen extension personnel driving down the road, to or from an event with enough supplies to cater 1000 meals or educate half of Powell County on something or another. Some things are unchangeable, just as they should be. Some of the members of the Livestock Producers jokingly say that I’ve fit right in. Wonder if that’s because my vehicle is just as cluttered as Mike’s?

Fifthly, in taking a group of students to the state fair this past week I saw how much patience it takes to educate and direct children. Most of you probably remember the old saying, “It was like herding a bunch of cats.” Well let me tell you, for what she does with these children in 4-H, Valerie Stewart deserves props.

My last lesson was something I knew to be true coming into this assignment. This lesson is the greatest one yet, extension agents, whether 4-H, family Consumer Sciences or Agriculture and Natural Resources, they all make daily sacrifices. Their sacrifices may be small or great, and may range from a sacrifice of personal time, funds or optimum health. Rain or shine they are at the office, out in the field, very seldom will you hear them say they had a lot of free time, even over a weekend. This past weekend itself is a prime example, where our county agriculture agent, Mike Reed gave up much of his weekend to help the Livestock Association with a fundraiser they took part in. For this reason and because of the value of the work they do, in relaying timely information, hosting events and organizing within the community, we should all extend a great thanks to our extension agents.


As an aside to this article I also would like to personally thank Mike Reed for all that he has done for me during my time at the Powell County Extension Office. I could not have asked for a better mentor. Yes, the work was hard, the hours long, but with his direction everything got completed concisely and in a timely manner. That in itself is a skill he taught me, that I am ever gracious for. So in closing, I hope you all realize everything the extension personnel do for you, hopefully you appreciate their efforts as much as I do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment