Friday, August 1, 2014

It's Fair Time Y'all

The fair has come and gone in Crittenden County, which is a sad moment for me!! I loved organizing and running the fair, it may just be my favorite activity of my entire internship.





The fair started Monday when the other agents and I set up tables and easels to display all the 4-Her's projects on. Tuesday we checked in all the projects and had them judged. The real fun started Wednesday morning at about 7:30 when 40 chickens rolled up to the fair pavilion. Overall we had about 75 chickens in out poultry show, an albino turkey, 10 rabbits, and a duck that laid an egg on the spot!
Crittenden County also had a pet show on Wednesday. I think the pet show was a great way to get the kids that don't come from a rural background involved in the fair. Some of the awards I gave out were for longest tailed dog, most obedient dog, most unusual pet, and smallest pet. The participants loved showing off their pets and being a part of the fair, it was definitely a success.
 On Thursday morning the goat show started, which was a first for me. I had never been or worked at a strictly goat show. We had about 50 goats show up to be shown by the 4-Her's. It was fun moving the goats from cage to cage and leading them or for some dragging them.

We cleaned up the goat show after it was over and headed back to the exhibit hall to hand out sweepstakes awards. The sweepstakes award is for 4-Her's that have entered 12 items or animals in the fair. They receive a plaque with their name on it or a small plate with the year on it for their plaque they already won for sweepstakes. 

I say the fair may just be my favorite part of my internship but there is a common denominator between everything in the running for my favorite activity. The common denominator is my supervising agent! Meredith Hall the ANR Agent,  has walked me through everything and built my confidence and knowledge up tremendously. I can know diagnose plants with confidence all the way to announce at the fair without hesitation. She has made my internship a positive and rewarding experience and I'm sad to say next week will be my last week along side her! The picture to the right is us taking a goat fair selfie!

No comments:

Post a Comment