Sunday, August 10, 2014

So Little Time! Weeks 7-10!

Hello, everybody! I am a few weeks behind on posting (have been very busy with both this internship and personal life), but that just means that I have a whole lot of great stuff to tell about in this blog! Let me start off with my favorite of the bunch...week 7!

Week 7




Week 7 was.....CAMP WEEK! It was my first time ever attending 4-H camp and I LOVED it! I was so nervous about the whole experience and didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I honestly missed it the day after we returned!


 I had a small cabin with only 7 girls that were between 8-11 years old and they were wonderful! Each night that we were there they were all piled onto my little tiny bed telling me stories or asking me about my life. I had two of my girls approach me on the last night and say, " You're our favorite. You are always there for us". It honestly made such an impact on me because although we were only there for a few days, they appreciated the care and attention they were given!They were so sweet and I miss them all so much!






Week 8

This week began the second part of my internship... I was leaving 4-H and joining FCS. The first day I got to make gift bags for senior citizens directors that my supervising agent, Theresa Scott, would meet with the following Monday. The next day I got a little treat...I got to go with Heather again to two more 4-H day camps! I was so thankful because I loved all the day camps so much! They were and are still my favorite part of the internship. The rest of the week  mostly consisted of preparing for night programs and meetings that were to follow the next week. However, I did get to go with Judy, the EFNEP assistant to a rehab facility to teach a nutrition lesson. It was a very eye opening and positive experience and I hope I am able to return before my internship comes to a close.

Weeks 9 and 10

The Monday of week 9, our "Living Well Series" began. It is a 5-week evening program that has topics such as diabetes prevention, heart health, eating plant-based foods, mental and social health, and Plate it Up! Although the attendance was small, it went very well both times and everyone had a really nice time. We also got a call from the director of one of the Senior high rises in Prestonsburg telling us of a sad situation that some of the senior citizens there are in. Many of them are going without food at the end of the month due to lack of money or lack of ability to go out to get it. The director explained that she was starting a small food pantry there for them. So without hesitation, we began collecting food to take and scheduled a program for that Wednesday and the next Wednesday. We prepared lunch for them and taught various lessons! It was a very heart warming experience. They were all so very appreciative and I enjoyed every second of it. I also got the opportunity to attend a Back to School Bash at the Mountain Arts Center where I got to hand out the newsletter I did for my special project.

This internship has truly flown by and it is hard to believe that there is only two weeks left! I am very excited about what is to come in the following weeks and am so thankful to have had this opportunity!











No comments:

Post a Comment