Friday, August 22, 2014

My Last Day!

This day has come to fast. It is my last day as a Cooperative Extension Summer Intern and I can say these last two weeks working at the State Fair have been amazing. What a way to end my internship.
The first day of Week 11 I went to Cloverville to help enter all of the 4-H exhibits from Meade County. I am so glad I got the opportunity to see how Cloverville actually became the great attraction I see every year at the fair. It takes many people and volunteers to get Cloverville set up and exhibits entered and judged. That evening I drove to the office to help wash hams the last time before the ham contest. During the week me and Carole Goodwin the 4-H agent took the hams to Cloverville and entered them. We also were room host for the Country Ham Contest at the Kentucky State Fair where we were very busy for hours. This job consisted of more than just lining the 4-Hers up to give their speeches. We also had to be supportive and help them relax if they became nervous before giving their speech. Along with that we had to keep up with all the score sheets and make sure everything was done correctly and promptly in our rooms. Following the contest we attended the awards ceremony and then made sure our exhibitors collected their hams. The next day we attended the ribbon cutting ceremony at Cloverville. This was an excellent ceremony with great speakers. Following that I assisted Carole with the Rabbit Show since she was assistant superintendent.



I started Week 12 with a farm field day for all of the male attendees of the Homemakers Master Farm award in Meade County. I was a driver and this was my first time driving a 15 passenger van. We took them to three locations within the county. First we went to Mr. Mudd's greenhouses where he grows some of the largest watermelons in the country. He told the men how he does it and what affects the melons growth. 
Following that we took them to the new River Port where Consolidated Grain will be operating at purchasing grain from local farmers and using barges to ship it. Our last stop was at Hager Farms where JJ and Greg Hager farm around 5,000 acres of land. Then we returned the men to the meeting where we all had lunch. 





On Tuesday I attended the state fair to watch the Ky 4-H Performing Arts Troop at Cloverville. Madison Brown from Meade County is a new member of the troop so we supported her performances. On Wednesday I drove to the state fair to assist the Agriculture Agent, Andy Mills, with the steer show. We started bright and early preparing for the show. I helped hand out ribbons and keep track of placings during the show. We also had steer showmanship and heifer showmanship later that day. On Thursday I was back at the state fair again helping Andy with the heifer show. This was a very long and strenuous day but I had a great time. Also while helping with the cattle show we heard great news that Gary Nelson Barger from Meade County had won Reserve Grand Champion Swine and would be in the Sale of Champions. 
Today is my last day and I think it will be fairly calm compared to the last few days. I will be in the office and plan to have lunch with everyone I have worked with so closely this summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment