Thursday, August 7, 2014

Finishing Up

My last two weeks at the Menifee County Extension Office have been just as busy as the rest of the summer, if not even more so. I've spent my time finishing up work on my special project, a collaboration between the Menifee Community Theatre Group and Menifee County 4-H. On July 26th-28th, we held four performances of The 39 Steps. Like any other performance, these required a very significant amount of work, sometimes with a lot of associated strain.

This project, as well as this internship, has been a valuable experience to me in many ways. I have been able to really put myself out there and get to know more people in the community that I have lived in for years. I have had the chance to explore the networking aspect of extension in particular. After a successful run of performances of the play, I have spoken with someone with the Mount Sterling Arts Council and the Gateway Regional Arts Center about teaming up to put on an encore performance which will build more ties within the surrounding counties. I'm excited to say that my project has been a great success, and we in Menifee County will be taking on more like it in the future.

Referring to my internship, I am finishing up a great and productive summer before returning to my undergrad work at UK. After my project, I've been busy helping out around the office, running mail, designing t-shirts for Youth Farm Field Day, and planning for the State Fair, among other things. Mostly, it's been pretty relaxed compared with some of my other weeks on the job. Honestly, though this time working with Extension has been great, I feel like I need more experience with it before deciding if the work is for me. It is definitely different than what I expected, but I still think that it would be a great career. I just need a little more time to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment