Saturday, August 10, 2013

Wrapping up my Internship- the Last 2 weeks



The last two weeks of my internship were not nearly as busy as previous weeks, but they were still full of excitement. During Week 9, I set up a booth at the Farmer’s Market and gave out samples of our delicious Bacon & Tomato Dip to almost 50 people and talked to them about home canning. I also canned glazed carrots during two separate Pressure Canning Workshops in the same day.


My supervisor, Rita Stewart talking about the proper way to use the pressure canner.

Glazed carrots. Before (left) and After (right).
During Week 10, I went to Boyle County and helped teach a Boiling Water Canning Workshop where everyone learned how to make an Apple Cinnamon Conserve. It is always exciting to have new people come to a class, and we had five new people this time. They all were very interested in what we had to say and had lots of questions.
On my last day to talk on the radio, one of the DJs decided to sing me a special song. In her song, she sang about all of the things that I have mentioned on the radio this summer. It was hilarious!  That same day I also went back to the Farmer’s Market to give out samples of the Cucumber, Corn and Bean Salsa that I made. Everyone loved it and was asking for the recipe. I also passed out information on freezing and drying foods at home. I also got the chance to go to a quilt store and help pick out fabric for a quilt that will be used as a sample during the upcoming quilt retreat (the quilt retreat took place the week after my internship ended). I had never realized how much work goes into making a quilt before. It is not an easy task, but I believe that the end result is always worth all the hard work. 
The gift bags that I decorated for the Quilt Retreat. I cut the flowers off of the stem and glued them onto the bags with a couple leaves.
Some pretty material that I found at Paul's Discount in Somerset.

Since Thursday, July 25th was my last day at the Lincoln County Extension Office, I decided to take flowers for all of the ladies in the office who were not on vacation and some of my homemade carrot cake. We had a couple meetings in the morning/afternoon and then I was surprised with a pizza party. It was funny because I was asking if I could go ahead and have my lunch before the second meeting started at noon and I couldn’t figure out why they wouldn’t let me. Quite a few of the homemakers were there and they had all signed a card for me. One of them even dug up a flower from her garden for me to take home and plant! It was really sweet. 

And of course Friday was the Intern Roundup in Versailles. I enjoyed getting to talk to everyone about their experiences. Below are a few pictures that I took. 



 I have truly had such a great experience at the Lincoln County Extension Office this summer…so much fun that I didn’t want to leave! Hopefully I will be able to make it back for a visit sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment