Friday, August 2, 2013

Going Out With a Bang

This week wraps up my summer internship in Robertson County. It has been a wonderful experience that I have really enjoyed. The internship has really opened my eyes to the world of extension. Even though I have grown up knowing about extension I was not aware of everything that was done by agents. There is so much that always has to be done behind the scenes and I really enjoyed observing that this summer. Coming in to this internship I wasn’t really sure if it was a career I would be interested in, but now, at the conclusion of my internship I definitely think it is something I would enjoy doing.

To wrap up the summer, we attended 4-H camp and had a “Blast from the Past”. I enjoyed interacting with all the kids and teaching the soccer class. We had to have been there the hottest week of the summer which made it slightly miserable on the soccer field. Even though it was so hot I still enjoyed teaching the class. Having never been to 4-H camp it was definitely a good experience. I wasn’t sure what to expect but I loved every minute of it. Sally Down the Alley had to be my favorite part.

I completed my project this week which was a Horticulture Field Day. We had a family to host the field day and we had three speakers from UK. The topics that were discussed were fruit tree sprays and diseases, pasture poultry production in the control of pests and forestry stewardship. In addition Shannon discussed soil testing. We had a good turnout for the small county. I was happy with how things went and with the turnout that we had.

We are spending the rest of the week at the Germantown fair helping with livestock shows.

I am thankful that I have had the opportunity to complete this internship this summer. Working with Shannon in Robertson County has been an experience that I won’t forget.  

No comments:

Post a Comment