Monday, August 5, 2013


Expressive arts day camp.

Today begins my last week as an intern at the Clark County Extension office. What a summer it has been! The past two weeks have been filled as usual with a variety of projects and experiences. 

4-H members exhibiting their crop and horticulture projects.
The month of July continued with 4-H day camps, the most recent being an expressive arts day camp with a circus theme. Even with a smoking popcorn machine a good time was had by all underneath the “big top of Clark County”! The end of July brought horticulture, tobacco and crop entries for 4-H members to the extension office. 

Fun at STRIDE.
July also brought new experiences to me through involvement with the STRIDE program of Clark County. STRIDE stands for Supporting Therapeutic Recreation for Individuals with Disabilities. The program aims to assist individuals with developmental or learning disabilities that are at least 16 years old. Every other month, 4-H hosts a program for participants in the STRIDE program. I was able to organize this month’s programming, which consisted of learning about succulent plants, crafting farm animal stick puppets and tie-dyeing bandanas. The joy and thankfulness of those who participated was extremely heartwarming; this was most certainly a day I will remember fondly!

Tomorrow I will be traveling with our ANR agent to Sekisui, a local chemical company, to present information about the benefits and methods of planting trees in an industrial setting. We will spending the later part of the afternoon at a University test plot on my family’s farm as part of the Tobacco Industry Tour. Production agriculture and research are truly some of my passions; I couldn’t think of a better way to spend my last week in Clark County!


Blackshank research plot at Anderson Brothers Farms, June 2013


The past twelve weeks have undoubtedly been eventful and educational. I will always be thankful to the Clark County Extension Service for allowing me the opportunity to grow up in a superb 4-H programs as well as return as a summer intern.

No comments:

Post a Comment