Friday, August 2, 2013

"Eat Right, Exercise Right, Live Right"

Yesterday for my final project, I put on a "Eat Right, Exercise Right, Live Right" day camp for the youth in the community at the Donna Kirby School Age Center on our military base, Fort Knox. This was my second time promoting my program. The first I promoted it through our county newsletter, and I had "0" kids sign up. This time, I had over 50 kids attend my day camp. Talk about a change in morale and numbers! I also brought with me a Good Friend of mine who I graduated High School with as a guest speaker. Marcellus Hobbs, former University of Louisville Track and Field Athlete to speak to the kids.

The day camp focused on the importance of physical fitness and eating healthy as children grow older. Right now so many children are facing or heading towards the direction of obesity. This problem stems from children being less involved in physical activity, not eating the correct amount of food, and the use of IPODS, IPADS, VIDEO GAMES, and TVs. 



They were able to participate in station activities, and we had a Grand Finale Relay where the kids were put into 2 Teams headed with a Captain, Team Wildcats, and Team Cardinals for a Race off. Happy to say TEAM WILDCATS won! 



For the nutrition part of the program, I introduced the "My Plate" food diagram and explained to them the importance of eating the right amount of healthy food. As a snack, they  got to make fruit smoothies! 



The youth really enjoyed being around Us, and had Soooo Many questions about exercise and Track and Field for Marcellus. Glad my program was a success! Dealing with over 50 kids can be quite challenging but I am very proud of myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment