Thursday, August 8, 2013

an end brings a new beginning

This is it!  The end of my summer internship at the Union County office.  Feels kinda weird!  Even though my time has been winding down, it’s still been pretty busy around here.  Mostly has been tracking down the last few histories of the remaining quilt squares, checking in exhibitors for their State Fair entries, and back to school events. 

The elementary schools here in the county had a ReadyFest last week for the kids to meet their teachers and parents to get all that back to school information from behavioral health to church groups to us – 4H!  I think we recruited a few “newly” turned 9 year olds.



Tuesday, Stephanie and I attended a drug coalition meeting.  Union County is at the founding stages of forming this coalition to address drug issues in our county.  This was the first initial meeting and it was a diverse group, which I think will be good once they are up and running. 

State Fair is just around the corner, but I won’t be attending this year since school starts right around the same time.  I’m excited to see how our UC kiddos do with their exhibits!  There are some really interesting pieces waiting to be taken to Louisville.

Today (Thursday) the whole office staff is taking me out for lunch, and they surprised me with a gift this morning with a cooler bag full of everything from a rain gauge to Plate It Up potholders.  So sweet of them!  I’ll be representing UK well down in Murray (as long as I don’t wear any shirt at my grad assistant job on campus).  This has been a whirlwind summer, but I’ve enjoyed it!  I always tell people that I look for diversity in a job to break the same old routine – extension covered all that and then some.




I truly enjoyed my internship experience and learned quite a few things – some leadership, some agriculture, and quite a bit of teachable “life” moments.  Tomorrow is my official last day, but I thought I would go ahead and share this wonderful moment.  Thanks UK and Union County!

No comments:

Post a Comment