Thursday, May 28, 2015

A New Adventure Begins!


The old adage "time flies when you're having fun" has never applied more to my life than during the past two weeks! I began my internship at the Fleming County Cooperative Extension office on Monday, May 18th. Shortly after arriving for my first day the 4-H agent Staci Thrasher and I sat down to start filling out my calendar for the summer. After filling out my calendar I jumped right in to help Staci set-up for the Licking Area Teen Leadership Academy banquet to be held at the office that night. The banquet recognized nineteen 4-H’ers from five different counties for successfully completing the teen leadership academy.

On Wednesday I headed to Blue Licks Battlefield State Park in Carlisle to meet with the 4-H agents that would be going to camp during our week. We made cabin assignments, designed our camp schedule, and made arrangements for instructors to teach the various classes that will be offered that week. I am very excited to be teaching a scavenger hunt class during Cloverbud Camp and an arts and crafts class during 4-H Camp. After finalizing the details, Staci and I headed off to Hillsboro Elementary School to deliver owl pellets to the 4th grade class for their dissection.

Thursday was a very busy day! We started the day by hosting a farm safety day at Fleming County High School, over 200 4th graders attended and learned about various farm safety topics ranging from animal safety to electrical safety. I taught the farm animal safety lesson and even got to play with two adorable pigs! 


Thursday evening meant it was time to clean country hams. I had a little experience with country hams in Dr. Gregg Rentfrow’s meat science class, but getting the opportunity to help these 4-H'ers with their country ham project was awesome! We took each ham out of the ham house, unwrapped and washed them in a cold water bath. These hams were placed in the ham house in January, so the kids were extremely excited to see how their ham had changed since then. Many of them were slightly grossed out that they had molded a little bit, however after learning this was a critical phase in curing meat they were more than happy to see the change in their hams. After being washed the hams were placed in a new sock and re-hung in the ham house. They will be taken down and prepared for the Kentucky State Fair in August.

Friday was spent with the students of Ewing Elementary for their annual Spring Fling field day. Bounce houses, relay games and other activities were a highlight for many of the students. Staci and I hosted the relay games. I’m not sure who was more entertained, me or the students. Everyone in attendance had a great time!

On Sunday I attended the Fleming County 4-H Golden Reins Horse Club’s spring horse show. I don’t have much experience with horses however I learned quite a bit from the 4-H horse club members during the event. The show had 26 classes ranging from showmanship to barrel racing. Barrel racing was my favorite, watching those horses circle around the barrel pattern and race back to the finish line in under 20 seconds was incredible!


During my second week I have been busy working on an article about the Golden Reins 4-H Horse club’s first show. I have also been preparing a lesson to teach next week on retail beef cuts for our farm tour.
These past two weeks have happened so quickly, however each day has been a new, fun filled adventure! I can't wait to update you on the adventures to come! 

Until Next Time,
Katie D. Conn 

No comments:

Post a Comment