Thursday, May 28, 2015

Barren County Cooperative Extension- Week One & Two:


I thought I was aware of most things that happened with in UK Extension, but I was wrong.  I have already learned a tremendous amount in these first two weeks. Growing up as a member of Hart County 4-H since I was a clover seed, and participating in every contest and, event made possible I had a great feeling about this opportunity as an Intern. That feeling hasn’t changed two weeks in as a UK Cooperative Extension Intern.  I have been thrown to the other side of the fence, as you may say. I am interning at Barren County Cooperative Extension Office under Agriculture and Natural Resource Agent, Chris Schalk. I have one example to sum up an Extension Agent….they are like Energizer Bunnies!! They go nonstop, with unlimited energy and passion to build leaders, and help others in the agricultural industry. Week two is almost complete, and I have done a little bit of everything from 4-H Camp camper/parent orientation, agent training, 4-H Bicycle Rodeo, many farm visits, Extension Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon,  Pasture to Plate Program, Homemaker meetings, and Mammoth Cave Area Agent IP Meeting.  These first two weeks have taught me more than words can describe. I can say for a fact that you have to be ready and up for anything when it comes to working in extension. I have absolutely loved my first two weeks and I am very excited to see what the rest of the summer has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment