Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Always Come Prepared

Week two presented many opportunities for me to get involved in the hands-on activities that agents at the Boone County Cooperative Extension Office participate in. It was a completely different experience from the first work, but I was prepared for the week with changes of clothes and shoes and an eagerness to get involved and a little messy.

This week I was able to meet with the new staff members of the Nutrition Education Program and learn about what they do. After this, the agents demonstrated their roles in extension and we visited the nature center and the arboretum. Country Ham washing was also this week, which was a completely new experience for me. I had no idea as to what goes in to taking care of and producing a country ham, and watching the 4-H members wash, dry, and hang their hams was a very educational and enlightening experience. With all of the salt that comes off of the hams once they're removed from the ham house, it was a good thing I had an extra change of clothes in my car.

Wednesday and Thursday was spent preparing the garden beds and then planting with a local elementary school. We laid plastic and then the children visited the nature center to help plant the peppers, squash, and watermelon that they would be raising throughout the summer. I was able to use the work boots I had stored in my trunk, and felt like I was back in school traversing the dusty fields and kicking up the newly tilled soil. With my horticulture background and the fun from working with kids, this task proved to be my favorite duty so far- It didn't even seem like a job because I enjoyed it so much. 

I was also able to visit a local elementary with one of the 4-H agents, and I helped do a food activity with a class of special needs students. We made ice cream in a bag with approximately 15 students, and it turned out to be a messy morning! Several of the kids were so excited and focused on shaking their bags of ice cream that the bags began leaking, and the water covered the floor and the desks. Eventually, all of the students got their ice cream and the mess was cleaned up, however, the decision was unanimous amongst students and teachers alike- the mess was definitely worth the finished product! It's all in a hard day's work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment