Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Adair County Cooperative Extension: Week One and Two

Week One:
If there was one word that would describe the life of an extension agent it would be: busy. Before I even made it to the office my first day, Kelli and I met at the radio station to talk on air about Water Awareness Month. I was also a judge for the Lake Cumberland 4-H showcase. I  judged the 11-12 year old speech contest and really enjoyed listening to all of the different speech topics they had come up with. I also attended our District Staff Meeting. It was great to meet agents from other counties. I felt so welcomed at the staff meeting and I was glad that I was exposed to this side of extension. Later in the week, we went shopping for our new office building. We traveled to Hardin County and literally shopped till we dropped! Who knew there were so many different types of power strips and mops to choose from?! To wrap up my first week I attended a health fair at the local elementary school where I presented on Sun Safety. I loved working with the children and making UV bead bracelets with them.

Week Two:
We finally moved into our new office! YAY! For the majority of this week we were unpacking and organizing. Kelli and I spent most of our time in the kitchen where we organized the pantry and cut out drawer liners for what seemed like a 100 cabinets. During this time, Kelli and I laughed, complained, and talked about all of the great things about extension. In the midst of our building project activities, we attended the Lake Cumberland Area Annual Homemakers Meeting. It was a boots and bling theme. I LOVED meeting the Homemakers and spending time with them. They were so sweet and welcoming.

These first two weeks have taught me more than words can describe. One thing I can say for certain is that you have to be ready and up for anything when it comes to working in extension. I have absolutely loved my first two weeks and I am very excited to continue learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment