Friday, May 22, 2015

Week One!

Hi everyone!

I am just now finishing up my first week of being a summer intern in my home town of Letcher County, KY. I have had a great experience thus far working with my supervisor Ann Bradley, the FCS agent, and the rest of the staff here in Letcher County. I began this journey on May 18th with a welcoming introduction to the people that I will be spending most of my time with this summer, which was followed by a staff meeting. The meeting gave everyone a chance to discuss any questions they may have about what was to come during the upcoming weeks and to give any announcements they felt were necessary for others to know.

Having a meeting the first day of my internship was only a glimpse of what was to come. The next day I attended a meeting in Hazard, KY with 4-H agents in surrounding counties to discuss the plans for 4-H camp. The meeting was very successful, the agents were able to finalize all of the day-to-day schedules for camp and plan for all of the supplies that needed to be purchased for camp to run smoothly.

Later that week, I also attended a meeting in London, KY with the camp manager from J.M. Feltner campgrounds, where my county will attend camp. Before the meeting began the camp manager offered to give us a tour of the grounds, since I had never attended camp. The campgrounds were greater than I could have imagined. As I walked through the cabins and out to the lake, I could envision all of the children participating in the activities that we had spent hours planning a couple of days before. Knowing that I am playing a small part in planning the camp that the children from my county and surrounding counties are getting to attend fills me with pride.

I can't wait to see what the rest of the summer holds for me! If it is anything like this first week, then I know I will have an amazing summer surrounded by amazing people.

I hope that all of you are having a great first couple of week as well!

Caitlin Collier
Letcher County FCS Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment