Friday, May 22, 2015

Off to A Great Start!


I am so stinkin’ excited to finally be a part of a County Extension Office! (Even though it is only for the summer). My name is Aubrey Clark and I am the 4-H intern for Jessamine County this summer. Our office has one 4-H Agent, Cathy Weaver, one ANR Agent, Rob Amburgey, one FCS Agent, Porsha Batts, one 4-H Program Assistant, Abby Sorrell, and our support staff, Jessica Lawrence & Shellie Castle.
I am now ending my second week as an intern and so far, & I love it! Last week I went to the KVF (Kentucky Volunteer Forum) Planning Committee Meeting, the District 4 Staff Meeting, a Fitting Show (had no clue what that was until last Friday), an overnight JC (Junior Counselor) training, I led teambuilding activities for CITs (counselors-in-training), and much more.
            Monday of this week I had the opportunity to spend some time with our ANR Agent, Rob. We went to the community garden at Asbury Seminary to make sure everything was growing properly. It was located in an area where international families lived so they could use the gardens to grow plants that were native to them. This garden had a nice gazebo area and had dozens of raised beds for gardening. The gazebo area was the perfect location for Rob to do programs and reach a diverse audience. After making this stop we went to look at a tree that had thinning leaves. Rob determined that it had a gall & it need to be trimmed. In the afternoon we attended a gardening club meeting. Here, Rob spoke about herb gardening and answered questions that the club members had.

          Tuesday I spent some time with Porsha, our FCS Agent. We went to the local housing agency, daycares, and community action center to pass out flyers on two of her upcoming programs, canning & meal planning.  In the afternoon we met with a Homemaker to go over the yearly revisions of the bylaws. I had a slim understanding of what the Homemakers did before Tuesday and am now hoping to get more involved with this club in the future.
           The rest of the week was filled with errands, meetings and hams. So far I love this job! Having something different to do every day is a blast. The diversity of the projects, activities and people makes 4-H and Extension such a fun thing to be involved with and it’s exactly what got me interested all those years ago. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the summer is like!


Aubrey Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment