Sunday, August 7, 2016

I Can't Believe the Summer is Over

As I approach the last week of my internship, I can't help but look back and think of how fast this summer has flown by. I've learned so much more than I thought was possible. Lessons that I'll take with me to use in my future career as well as whatever future endevors I may come across. If you'd asked me at the beginning of the summer, "Do you think Extension is the career path for you?" I would've responded with "I don't know if I'd like to do something like that," but now that the summer is over I've fallen in love with everything that extension stands for. I'm beyond blessed to have had the experience I've had this summer in extension, and even more blessed to have been able to spend it in Spencer County. Even though, Spencer County is my home county I wasn't involved in 4-H when I was younger, and wasn't sure what all extension even had to offer me now as just a community member. It's going to be extremely hard to leave the co-workers that have become more like family. 

When I leave extension I'll so many memories, from going to 4-H camp for the very first time to getting the behind the experience at the county fair to getting to teach different age groups from what I'm used to. I got to teach for my individual project and I helped teach a leadership class as Teen Conference. As an education major, they can teach all the tricks and engaging tips in the world to use on your students, but actually using them in a real life situation is different. Another that can't be taught is classroom management. One of my biggest fears thinking about student teaching in the spring was "How am I going to control 32 kids that have no idea who I am?" Now that I have experienced 4-H camp and teaching kids, I've learned that I do have the ability to control a classroom. I would've never guessed that extension would have taught me how to develop and adapt lessons plans I'm teaching, or teach me that going outside of your comfort zone can open up a variety of opportunities. I don't think I'll be able to thank extension enough or my co-workers for all the memories and experiences I've had the opportunity to be apart of.

I also got teach kids about Animal By Products for my individual project. I taught 6 different groups of children from ages 5-11 about the importance of the products that come from animals. The products that I introduced them to were things other than food. These were things that they use in their every day lives like deodorant, cosmetics, crayons, sports equipment, and so much more. The kids got to see disgrams with products that cam from a cow, pig, and sheep, as well as seeing some of those products up close and personal. The kids were really grossed out at first, but as they learned exactly how those products were made from animals they became amazed at how little they would have without the contribustions that livestock animals make to our every day lives. 

I can't wait to see where my future will take whether it be into a classroom or into extension I know that  I'm more prepared than I thought I would be before taking this internship. I love everything extension is, and am beyond happy that I recieved the opportunity to be an intern. I definitely wish it didn't have to come to an end. Until next time extension!

No comments:

Post a Comment