Tuesday, August 2, 2016

County Fair!!

The Meade County Fair has come and gone for 2016. While the actual fair only lasted a week, I feel as if we have been getting prepared for it since the beginning of summer, which is probably because we have been ever since we returned from 4-H Camp.
I have always enjoyed the county fair. When I was younger, my sisters and I would always enter a bunch of projects in the 4-H and Family Living sections of the Breckinridge County Fair. We also showed livestock at the county fair and my sisters still do. However, county fair week this year was a whole new ballgame for many reasons.
One reason is this year I was able to experience a completely different county’s  fair. I grew up in Breckinridge County so we always attended the Breckinridge County Fair almost every night because my mom and dad are on the fair board and we usually have to help do something every night of fair week. Even though I had to help with the Breckinridge County Fair, I did not get to experience all of the behind the scenes work that goes into all of the 4-H and general extension events that take place at the fair like I was able to experience this year.
Another reason this year was completely different for me is because the Meade County Fair is so much bigger than any county fair I have ever been to. There were almost 70 kids participate in the livestock shows alone at the Meade County Fair.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Meade County Fair. I especially liked working all of the livestock shows and working with all of the leaders and kids during the shows and during the Skill-A-Thon, which was my intern project for the summer. I enjoyed learning most of the ins and outs of the livestock programs and their youth livestock auction. It was crazy for me to see how different all of the Meade County 4-H fair events were compared to what I was used to in Breckinridge County. I hope to learn more about what Meade County does to get the word out about 4-H in the last few weeks of my internship and as Meade County gets ready to go back to school. 

Below are some pictures from Fair Week.  










No comments:

Post a Comment