Friday, May 30, 2014

Week 1-2: 4-H and Agriculture and Natural Resources, Hardin County, Loren Gross

     Extension Agent Intern. What does that job title even really mean? What does that even really mean in a job description. That was my goal coming into this experience. Now granted my load is a little more varied due to being specifically assigned to two program areas, but I feel in two weeks I completely understand the job description of an agent but we will get to that later.

    Now before I begin to break down the first stint of this experience I will point out the lack of photos at this point just due to not thinking about it and the amount of meetings, but photos are to come in future posts both here and on the Facebook group.

    Day 1. First impressions are said to have the most lasting effects. Well I contacted my supervising agent ahead of time, showed up punctually and began the wonderful experience of meeting all the staff and trying to remember as many names as possible (which can be difficult in 10 minutes with the size of our office). Next I got settled into my office ( A FULL SIZE OFFICE) and got my LinkBlue set up and the office went out to lunch together to welcome me. Typical. Well that's were any "idea" or preconceived notion of a first day go out the window. The rest of the day was filled with participating in a radio interview about extension , fixing a washing machine (saved the office a ton of money for a two second fix) , gathered supplies, helped with a jelly/jam lesson, and did some other random tasks.

    The rest of that week included going to Adair county to do some work on the 4-H country hams, going to make some farm visits and diagnose some farmer crop issues, 3 different meetings with 4-H parents over various things, and the most exciting aspect: working the secretary/receptionist desk for a morning. Now this was my real indoctrination into the office staff. While the staff participated in a training morning my task was to take soil samples, direct phone calls, and answer simple questions if possible but be sure not to make recommendations just because I am not an agent and we would not want backfire for a negative turn around. Fair enough my task was clear and I was up to my task with great zeal. For the first hour or so no problems. Well then I received the phone call for grain-fed beef. A nice lady called and asked where she could possibly obtain some quality grain-fed beef; to which I informed her most any farmer or even conventional supermarket or meat processors. Well she implied I had mistook my own words, so I ask if she meant "grass-fed"; well since this is a public forum all I will say is the response I received to uttering those words was on the rated R side of things. Ok no big deal, I'll let it role. Well then came in a fine gentleman who had wanted to have some questions answered on herbicides to control a pond grass problem. Went and grabbed an agent and well the conversation went from herbicides, to how soil tests and water tests were the government trying to take the gentleman's land and he wanted nothing to do with us. The agent smiled at me and said " another day at the office". Week 1 down.

   Week 2 was less "exciting" necessarily but none the less packed and great. Starting with a meeting involving Operation Military Kids, 4-H camp orientation, District Staff meeting, District Board meeting, paperwork and various prep work. Well the highlight of the week was actually on Friday. The first half of the day was spent doing woodworking with 5th graders at an elementary school in the form of making foot stools, while the later half of the day was going to a cattleman related function at the local Caterpillar dealer and going to scope a farm out for the Ag Field day we are putting on next week.
 
    Earlier in the post I stated I figured out the job description for not only an extension intern but any extension agent in general. The answer is: an individual who is flexible and does their best to provide agriculture/horticultural/family consumer science/4-H related knowledge, services, and learning opportunities which fit the needs of that environment. How does this translate to my random description of the past two weeks events? Well as I have experienced with both programs, there is no set schedule or "normal" day or pattern of work. This personally reflects in me loving the job, the opportunities, the networking, the random events, and am truly looking forward to the next 10 weeks.

Loren Gross - Hardin County Cooperative Extension Agent Intern in 4-H and Agriculture/Natural Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment