Friday, May 30, 2014

My First Week in Woodford County!


My first day of extension was a whirlwind. I arrived at 8:00am (a few Mondays ago), to Woodford County and began a discussion with my agent, Elizabeth Creed, and a tour around the office. I was handed a copy of my calendar and shown to my desk/office.  My day consisted of laminating bookmarks, using a paper cutter, baking my first cake from scratch, and going to a program and helping the attendees weigh in.






I baked a Lemon Blackberry Upside down cake. The cake was baked for a celebration of the Weight Loss Series: Be A Loser. There were six attendees who stuck to the program and combined had a weight loss of almost 90 pounds! Although I had not been with the program the entire time, I was very proud of them for sticking to it and losing the weight. The cake is a low fat, semi sweet, yummy treat that they were able to eat after the announcements. Luckily, the attendees loved the cake and there wasn't a piece left! 







The rest of my first week consisted of a lot of coffee drinking, learning about the new phone updates, Chamber of Commerce Open House, Healthy Community Coalition meeting, and some 4-H work. I went to the Chamber of Commerce with the Horticulture agent, Faye, for the ribbon cutting for the opening of their new building. It was great to see so many members of the community come together and fellowship over a great accomplishment for the county. I discussed Teen Conference with the 4-H agent, Jenny. I also made a lesson plan for two classes that I will be teaching during 4-H Camp (EXCITING!). The Healthy Community Coalition was a group of people who meet bi-monthly to discuss health initiatives in Woodford County. The meeting had a variety of members of the community: a Judge, parks and recreation employee, non-profit worker, WCPS board employee, two health department employees, and of course my Family and Consumer Sciences supervisor. The meeting was very beneficial and I had a chance to give input. The meeting ended and the Health Department showed us their 12 foot garden filled with herbs, lettuce, and other veggies. (pictured above).

Ebony Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment