Friday, May 23, 2014

And They're Off!

Wow! I feel like I am running in the derby with how fast the first two weeks of my internship has gone. The past two weeks have been amazing living in the shadow of the Fleming County 4-H Agent. I started my internship on Monday May 12, 2014 and my cooperative agent this summer is Mrs. Staci Thrasher. On the first day she gave me a tour of the office, gave me the low down about her job and most importantly we discussed our calendar of events  for the summer. At first, I was a bit overwhelmed with everything that was thrown at me. After we talked about each event I can say that I am extremely excited for the summer that we have planned!




The first event we had on our schedule was teaching a hydrogel lesson from dissecting diapers. We taught this lesson to a class of 6th graders at Flemingsburg Elementary School. This is a very fun and interesting lesson to have observed and help teach to this group of students. To watch how interested and shocked the students were, to observe how much the hydrogels that you can find in baby diapers absorbed when poured into water. Their favorite part of the activity was getting to touch the hydrogels before throwing them away in the trash.

















That afternoon we took off to Menifee County High School for the District 1 speech and demonstration contest. We took one individual who competed in the 16 year old speech contest as well as the senior interview contest. My cooperative agent and I judged the 9, 10 and 11 year old speech contestants, which was an awesome experience itself. I have competed in these contests and have judged plenty of speaking contests during my high school and college career. However this event differed from any other contest that I have judged. I had the opportunity to listen to a little 10 year old boy who gave his speech on Autism. At the end of his speech he concluded by saying that he suffered from severe autism. Other than stuttering once or twice, I would have never guessed he would have had Autism. He gave an outstanding speech and ended up winning his age division. The contestant that we took placed 2nd in her speech and 1st in her interview area and will be preparing for the state communications contest.




The next event was an impromptu event and was not really planned out in my calendar on the first day.  My cooperative agent got the call from her co-worker that they were running short on help at God's Pantry that morning. So we packed up and went to the Flemingsburg Baptist Church to assist in organizing, unloading and serving the food items for God's Pantry. This was an eye opening experience for me. I knew that a lot of people in our world suffer from poverty but I had no idea that it affected my community as badly as it did. So participating in this event was a very impacting experience my first week as an intern. It makes me feel great to know that our community does so much to help those in need.



During free time in the office I helped organize the 2014 Market Livestock binder to help when shows and fairs come around during the summer. Just like that, week one ended and the beginning of week two had started. Week two started with some office work and organizing the events for the week to come. We received our copies of the livestock validation papers for each exhibitor in Fleming County, so I completed the livestock binder for the summer.

Tuesday we were off to Lexington for the Teen Conference Planning Committee meeting. My cooperative agent serves on this committee in representation for District 1. This is where we organized and placed Teen Conference participants in their housing as well as their tracks and workshops for the conference.  The day started out pretty hectic but we eventually made everything work and got it all organized. Then Wednesday we had a District Staff link meeting to discuss extension insurance, dress code, money handling procedures, and managing grants.

Yesterday was a phenomenal day to be an intern! Since I helped with the last hydrogel lesson, my cooperative agent decided it was my turn to teach it all by myself. So we went to Hillsboro Elementary School to dissect diapers with a class of 4th graders. They enjoyed every second of the lesson but I think I enjoyed teaching them just as much. They were a great group of kids and listened to my every instruction. They were high energy but channeled that energy into enthusiasm toward the lesson. They asked a lot of questions about the hydrogels and how they applied to agriculture. So we discussed how they could apply to a farmers crops or a florists plants that they raise. It was a  blast!


Today started off with a horse volunteer meeting with my cooperative agent and the new horse volunteer leader. This meeting was to discuss different contest areas that the horse club can participate in through 4-H. They discussed club meetings and what should be discussed or topics to discuss during club meetings with the kids. They also discuss the guidelines to being the horse club volunteer leader with emphasis on the 6 educational hours kids need to get every year in order to show. Before lunch we went to both Hillsboro Elementary School and E.P. Ward Elementary school to deliver the weekend backpacks for the student in the backpack program. Later this afternoon, after school let out we held a Dairy Clinic with the Dairy Club at the High School Agriculture barn. This was for students interested in showing dairy to discuss the topics of showing before district shows start. 

As I approach turn one, I can say that I am pumped for the rest of the race ahead of me this summer with my internship. There might be some bumps in the track but no race is a smooth race. I look forward to experiencing every second in the life of the Fleming County 4-H Agent. "We don't do things we aren't good at by nature. I wouldn't play basketball because I'm only 5'1". Find what you enjoy- Whether it's racing, flying a helicopter, being a doctor, or stitching clothes together. Once you've done that, you have the passion you need. -Danica Patrick" So far through this internship I have realized even more that teaching youth about agriculture is my passion in life.

Cameron Earlywine
University of Kentucky
Career and Technical Education Senior

No comments:

Post a Comment