Friday, May 23, 2014

My First 2 Weeks!


Let me just start off with saying, WOW! These past two weeks have been great! Every day has been different, with some early mornings and late evenings but everything has been a great learning experience! The first week I jumped right in with attending my first staff meeting, 4-H council meeting and the District Board meeting! I was welcomed greatly into the office with an amazing sign on my office door!
The first week I assisted with the 4-H Reality Store for the local middle school, it was great to seeing some of my old teachers still working there and them being able to recognize me was amazing! The 4-H Reality Store was a great experience where I got to explain to the middle schooler’s the importance in some items such as; medical insurance, electric, and groceries, compared to name brand clothes, entertainment and sports cars! Let’s just say, many students were proud to leave with ‘two dollars’ in their imaginary bank accounts! Another experience I had in week one, I attended a private church elementary school 4-H club, where I assisted in a lesson on wood working and simple machines. I was able to help the 4th and 5th graders build garden boxes, this was a great hands-on experience where I simply helped the students learn how to use a hammer!  After visiting that school we then ventured over to another private school, St. Mary’s 4-H school club, to help them with their election process for next school years officer team! This was an excitement filled meeting due to the elections and also since it was their last club meeting! I saw a lot of familiar faces of campers and I also got to talk with some students about events that they wanted to attend this summer. Then to finish off this fun filled week, we checked on the curing hams in the curing box at the fairgrounds!


         My second week has been just as great as my first! This week I was able to meet the 4-Her’s who are attending 4-H Teen Conference in June and got to talk to them about my experiences at 4-H Teen Conference when I was a 4-Her! I then was invited to attend the Cattlemen’s Association meeting, I was also invited to stay for the Campbell County Beef Association Board of Directors meeting as well! This was great to hear the news and success of the freezer beef program. Then to end this eventful week, I made an early morning farm visit with the Ag Agent Don! We visited a local farmer, Mr. Ahrman, to help breed some beef cattle that are part of a research study they are doing and I also assisted in giving shots!
These two weeks have been great! I have seen many sides of the extension service and I can’t wait to see what else I will be getting my hands into this summer with the Campbell County Extension Services!

No comments:

Post a Comment