Friday, May 30, 2014

First Weeks as an Intern!

I am finishing up my second week at the Pike County Extension office. It has been a blast so far! My first day on the job I was nervous about how everything would work. Once I stepped foot into the office all nervousness was gone. Everyone in the office was very welcoming. I already feel like one of them and I have only been here for two weeks. My first day was all about getting to know everyone in the office and how things worked around here. After the first day we hit the ground running. Our county's homemaker annual meeting was the Thursday of my first week. Our FCS Agent decided to do a tea party this year as the theme. No one in the Pike County area caters food appropriate for a tea party. Therefore, we spent two days preparing and cooking for the tea party. I had a blast working with our FCS agent, FCS assistant and two of the homemakers. This was a great opportunity for me to get to know my coworkers. The tea party was a huge success! All of the ladies loved the food and decorations.

Pike County Homemakers at their annual meeting
 
Food we prepared for the tea party
 
I have also had my first taste of office staff meetings and district staff meeting. I love the family feel that the office staff meetings have. Everyone seems to get along and are willing to help each other on whatever they need. Pike County may be large but the towns in it are small. This helps create the family feel that is in our office. 

I worked with 4-H during my first two weeks as well. I am very excited to work more with 4-H because I love working with children. 4-H camp is at the forefront of our work right now. I have never been to 4-H camp but I look forward to going and seeing what it is all about. I traveled around the county with one of our 4-H assistants to check on the newly hatched chickens. The children loved watching the chickens hatch and seeing them as babies. 

I had a very humbling experience at the Thankful Hearts Food Pantry. It is an eye opening experience to see all these people who need food but cannot afford it. We gave out nutrition information and a few freebies from the office. People loved getting the recipes and the vegetable scrubbers. 

Overall I have had an awesome first two weeks! I am looking forward to the rest of the summer!

-Chelsea Hunt


No comments:

Post a Comment